• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Ball Guide: Finding a Fit (Conclusion)

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Embed from Getty Images

WITH SO MANY OPTIONS and a lot of information to grasp, finding the perfect golf ball for your game might seem daunting.

But there'S also this piece of good news: It's nearly impossible to go wrong in today's market because all the major companies make top-quality golf balls.

A good starting point is to assess your golf abilities and aspirations.

Are you a beginner, high handicapper, or "average" golfer?

You might want to focus on the durability, distance and straightness offered by quality two-piece golf balls. Plus, they're more economical. The right distance and lower-spin golf ball will put you in the fairway more often and shorten those second shots.

If your'e a more skilled golfer, then spin and accuracy from the fairway to the green—and heightened feel on little pitches, chip shots and putts—will probably lead you to a premium multi-piece golf ball. The right one could definitely elevate your game and lower your score.

"Size up your game by understanding your strengths and weaknesses," said expert reviewer Bob Gomavitz, "and by also knowing your club speed before choosing your next ball."

Gomavitz also suggests doing additional homework, whether visiting websites of golf ball manufacturers or attending a ball fitting. It's certainly not mandatory, but you might be the type of person who enjoys the process.

Perhaps the smartest move is to simply try out several golf balls in practice and on the golf course. Hit all the shots: drives, full irons, wedges, short pitches, bunker shots, chips and putts. Note the performance and feel as you try different balls. A favorite ball or two should emerge from your informal testing.

In the end, as Gomavitz said, "Go have some fun!" That's a worthy goal for every golfer.

Related:
The Golf Ball Guide: Introduction
The Golf Ball Guide: Golf Ball Construction
The Golf Ball Guide: Golf Ball Categories and Brands
The Golf Ball Guide: Two-Piece Golf Balls
The Golf Ball Guide: Multi-Piece Golf Balls
The Golf Ball Guide: Golf Balls in Cold Weather

The Golf Ball Guide: Golf Ball Care

Source: Golf Ball Guide: Finding a Fit (Conclusion)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Honestly, so much is made of new season golf balls. I’ve recently upgraded my driver and 3 wood. At last Sunday’s club tourney round, I was striping both longer than ever and all the while using a (unused) 3 year old Srixon Z-Star.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Honestly, so much is made of new season golf balls. I’ve recently upgraded my driver and 3 wood. At last Sunday’s club tourney round, I was striping both longer than ever and all the while using a (unused) 3 year old Srixon Z-Star.

That’s because the Z-Star is the best ball on the market. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.