• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Ball Test

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
So before my round on an empty golf coursefriday after school, I dug through the barrel to see if any of the balls were worth testing.

Heres what I came out with.

Ben Hogan Apex Tour Red
Wilson Staff Tx4
Strata Tour Ultimate
Srixon Z-URS
Precept U-Tri Tour

I pretty much tested these balls around different shots, nobody behind me.
These balls were tested From; Driver, 4 iron shots, 8 iron shots, full wedges, and greenside.

Driver:They were all pretty much the same from driver, lowish spinning. But the Strata Tour Ultimate spun alot and went higher/was hard to control.

4 iron approaches: All balls had a bounce, check, release action when hitting the greens (Ball within 8 feet of ball mark) except the hogan, which missed the green, and the Precept, that was hooked OB and lost. The Strata had the highest trajectory, While I favored the flatter trajectory of the Wilson Staff Tx4.

8 iron approaches: All four of the remaining balls hit the green. This is where performance realy stood out, The Strata hit pin high, and spun back about 4 feet, and the Hogan hit, bounced back and spun off of the green. The Srixon and Wilson hit the green, bounced and spun back a tad, within 2 feet of the ballmark

Wedge Shots: I hit the Hogan and the strata first with my 58* X-Tour Wedge. Spun off the green, and were later found to be sheered beyond belief. The Wilson and Srixon were similar in the amount of spin, hopping a few times and spinning back near the ball mark.

Greenside Spin: After the round on the practice green I was messing around with these balls, and the Srixon was better on durability and greenside shots. The srixon would hit, take a few bounces and stop, as the wilson would release more.

Results:

Ben Hogan:
Good for slower swingers, particularly on approach shots.
Strata: Good for Straight hitters who really need to spin the ball
Wilson: Good for People who want mid spin in their Irons, and more from wedge shots
Srixon: Same as wilson, but much more durable.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Good review. Did you like any of them enough to play them regularly?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.