• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Carts.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Golf Carts.

Me and a few buddies are pretty sure we will be getting memberships at a local course next year. We have been planning on some of the expenses and it will cost us 750$ for the membership and that doesn’t include cart fees. The season cart fee is I think 400$ or 450$ per person that’s to use their carts. If you have your own cart then they have a 100 $ trail fee and 150$ storage fee at the course, and you get your own little garage stall.

Would you just pay the 400$ a year and use their cart or do you think it would be a better idea to go in with friend and just buy a used golf cart.

I’ve been looking on line just to find out how much they cost and they are pretty expensive like 1400$ for a 94 gas operated or like 2000$ for a 97. Its sad but my car is only worth about 2000$. Anybody on here own a cart and what should I look for a gas or an electric and what kind of life can I expect to get out of it, and what kind of things go wrong with them and are they expensive to fix and maintain.

Also this course is not one you would want to walk it’s a hilly SOB.
:smilie_fu

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I play one course by far more than

the others that are around. This course is also quite hilly, and that usually means more strain on a cart. I play the whole year since it seldom snows here (yet it snowed this year in April!), so I get a lot from being in the cart program. It just did not make sense to me to own a cart. If a person played a lot of different courses, had some months when the course was closed for winter, could do his own maintenance--it might start to change the picture a little.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Look at the "Big Picture".

In a word-Maintenance!
Judging by the figures you've posted you're talking a difference of $200.00 a year savings to have your own.
Is it really worth it?
Don't forget to add in your initial investment for your own cart.
How many years would you have to use that cart before it would be a worthwhile investment.
Now let's talk about the cost of repairs and such.
Does the storage include electricity?
What would the course charge of gas?
(Depending on which type of cart you buy.)
Another senerio...
You get to the course and your cart won't run.
Then you'd probably end up renting one anyway.
Also ask yourself, "Do I need the grief"?

As a truck owner, (big truck that is), I look at this from a business point of view.
I really don't see much profit in it.
But this is just my opinion.
What would an old truck driver know anyway!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
In a word-Maintenance!
Judging by the figures you've posted you're talking a difference of $200.00 a year savings to have your own.
Is it really worth it?
Don't forget to add in your initial investment for your own cart.
How many years would you have to use that cart before it would be a worthwhile investment.
Now let's talk about the cost of repairs and such.
Does the storage include electricity?
What would the course charge of gas?
(Depending on which type of cart you buy.)
Another senerio...
You get to the course and your cart won't run.
Then you'd probably end up renting one anyway.
Also ask yourself, "Do I need the grief"?

As a truck owner, (big truck that is), I look at this from a business point of view.
I really don't see much profit in it.
But this is just my opinion.
What would an old truck driver know anyway!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Much applause. Use their cart, and don't worry about gunning it up those 50* inclines!

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
31 and Jeff its all down hill after 26 :laugh:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hahaha. I'd say go with the cart plan they offer, wuss.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Given the right circumstances, your own cart can make good financial sense. I live on a course; and my buddy lives less than a mile away in another subdivision. We shared the expense of buying a used cart last September. The cart is a 2003 Club Car that was owned by the daughter of the developer of my subdivision and golf course. It was virtually like new when we bought it for $2000. We have no storage expenses; because I have a storage shed on my property. Maintenance for the first 11 months has consisted of gasoline, oil changes, a couple of filters, and 1 spark plug. Although the need has not arisen yet, I am capable of doing repair labor if/when it becomes necessary.

We pay annual fees of $500 each for golf membership. Membership includes unlimited golf, no trail fees, and unlimited range time w/free balls. Another perk that we enjoy is that we do not have to make tee times in advance. When the urge strikes us to play, all we have to do is drive to the club house; and the manager will fit us in between other groups.

Another factor that decides whether your own cart is financially viable is how often you play. My buddy and I are both retired, so we can play fairly often. On average, our cart is normally used for at least 3 rounds per week. Three rounds at my course would cost $75 per week, per person, assuming weekday play (more if weekend play).

My costs for the first year of golf as a cart owner are approximately:

Cart purchase...$1000
My share of gasoline...$150
My share of maintenance supplies...$30
Club membership...$500
Total first year expense....$1680

Minimum cost of 150 rounds as non-member/cart owner...$3750
Estimated non-member cost of range balls hit....$384
Total non-member/cart owner cost....$4134

The simplified math shows that I saved $2454 during my first year of cart ownership. In truth, the savings would be greater; because many of my rounds were played on weekends where the non-member costs are higher than what I used in my calculations. Barring any catastrophic maintenance/repair costs during the near future, my savings will be even greater next year; because the initial cost of the cart will not be an expense.

The downside to owning your own cart and being a club member is that a person tends to become shackled to one course.

Sorry for the length of this post guys. I had never done the actual math until now, so I got caught up in my own calculations. ;)

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
if you do want a cart shop around a little bit towards the end of the season when people decide they need a new one or they just stop playing so much, I just sold a 98 ezgo electric for 2400$ and bought a 2002 ezgo with new batteries and it is like brand new for 1800$ so you can find a good deal on one if you want one. another option is splitting a used cart with your buddies like say 300-400$ a piece.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
walk... you get a good cardio workout if it's hilly. Great for the heart and legs. Plus there is none of this I need to go back to the cart to get the right club nonsense.

I'm in VT and know all about mountain golf, and if you are in good shape it's easy, provided it isn't 100 degrees.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Its going to cost me 1180$ for the membership and cart lease, if I go that route. If I play two times a week April threw September that would be roughly 48-52 rounds. If I went that many times and paid the regular green fees and cart rental it would be around 2000$. So it’s a good enough deal to do the cart lease alone and if we get sick of the course we are not stuck owning a golf cart. Also one of the kickers is that being members we get reciprocity so we can play 5 other courses in southern MN for free two times each and they are all very nice.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Would you just pay the 400$ a year and use their cart or do you think it would be a better idea to go in with friend and just buy a used golf cart.
I can't answer the other questions about life of the cart, but if they had a trail fee here, I would likely buy my own cart. Although I am not sure I would see it as an advantage to store it at the course. If I had to do that, I would likely pay the fee and not deal with the hassle. To me the advantage would be being able to take it to the course without loading up the clubs. Yet still have my clubs at home.

Personally if I bought one, I would one that would require a license plate and go about 40 mph and use if for alot more things than just the golf course. It would actually be pretty ideal for this area.

Comparing Prepaid cart to paying daily, there is a real advantage to prepaid if you already play twice a week. You can go out and practice a few holes and save range fees, as well as going out in bad weather and if you decide it is to much to play, you are not out anything by leaving. My wife only plays twice a week, although we prepaid her cart as well. In doing so she ends up going out about 2-4 times extra a week since it is paid for and cheap (free) entertainment. Pretty good practice and fun. Up here we get alot of "Isolated Thunderstorms". Played many rounds I would not have gone out if I had to pay $10-15 for the cart. There have only been a couple cases where we actually got the storm, so leaving after a couple holes was no big deal. But we got alot of rounds in we would otherwise skipped.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
My father-in-law has his own cart. He has owned it since the mid 80's, and it's still going strong. It's an Easy Go gas engine (2 cycle) 3 wheeler. He maintains it himself, it gets at least 54 holes to the gallon :laugh:. I don't know what he paid for it, but he has gotten his money's worth out of it many times over.

If you get a trailer for it, you can take it with you to other courses that allow personal carts and you don't need to pay storage for it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.