• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Channel 101

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Hey, crew.

I've recently moved into a new home, and with the move came a transition from satellite to cable tv. That means I am finally among the living with access to the Golf Channel. Can someone direct me to the shows or times when the best golf tips and advice are given?

Thanks---

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Here is my experience with the golf channel.

Typical rainy saturday.....

Turn on GC @2:00 pm......commercial
try again @ 2:35...........commercial
Once more @ 4:17.........commercial
try @ 7:34...................commercial
again @ 9:22.................INFOmercial! (wow...progress)
Finally@ 11:47...............Re run of some Euro amature event

I hate the golf channel.

ps....welcome aboard Buddha!

OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
LOL. Well obviously you don't have an appreciation for infomercials as an artform. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
B,

Monday night has "What's in the bag". Decent show about the behind the scenes stuff. Another decent show is "Playing lessons from the pros". I don't know what time it's on, it's sorta hit and miss. But, you learn good course management, and get to see what guys are playing on a "real course" rather than one with Johnny Miller and the frat boys mucking up your afternoon.

But, for the most part, 75% of the golf channel is either infomercials, or garbage. You watch a segment for 45 minutes, and then they bring in a psychologist to make the lesson legit.

I don't get it.

But the girl is hot.

R35

Duckhook Mallard

Aug 27, 2004
True - Monday nights are hit or miss. Word of advise - Don't watch too much of the instruction. It gets in your head and will screw you up like nothing you've ever seen. Speaking from experience.

The rest of the time is pretty much infomercials and european/nationwide tour telecasts.

The Big Break (mediocre golf reality TV show) is coming up soon I think, this is fairly watchable for some people. I found myself checking it out last year. I hear the chick on this year's version is a looker....

On Thursday - Sunday nights they have Golf Central/Postgame shows (think Sportscenter) that review the action in all the various tourneys that day. Its a good way to catch up if you're interested.

TGC has its moments - as few and far between as they may be.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
What do you think of Jim McLean ?

I find the guy is a real technical quack. Just seeing him talk gives me narcolepsy. And if I would be brave enough to hear him for 5 minutes, a headache starts kicking in.

Duckhook Mallard

Aug 27, 2004
Ahhh Mr. McClean. . . .

Its funny about Jim - - - he's really the only one of the "regular" instructors that I really can't handle. Gives me a tick....

Did you ever see those pieces that he does every so oftern about famous golfers? Spends half an hour breaking down Lee Trivino's swing. . piece by piece by piece by piece.....

"Now notice how Lee's big toe points at a 32 deg angle instead of the 37 deg angle he used early in his career. This allows him get to the club to the inside."

Brutal. absolutely brutal.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Anyone ever notice during the Medicus infomercial, that the one guy hits a huge snap hook illustrating the "after effects of using the medicus just 10 minutes a day"?

That always makes me laugh. I can snap hook on my own, thank you very much.

R35

🔥 Latest posts