• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Club hat and coat racks like you've never seen!

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
United States United States
DSC04989.JPG
As a part-time woodworker who has been in the business on and off since 1971, I have developed a Golf Club Hat and Coat Rack that is a little different.
Mine feature two distinct things...one level, the wood features the hole, the fairway and the distance. The more complex level is shown here, tinted wood, sandtraps, water, defined greens and rough. Clubs are attached with industrial epoxy, and will hold over 75 lbs. I also put in keyhole screw holders on the back, no strings or wire here - set on 16" centers so you can hang this on two studs in the wall and know it will never come down or move when someone throws a coat up on it. Clubs vary, and I will show two different ones, but each one is distinct and unique. As with my guitars and jewelry boxes, these are unique individual items. See below, and also can go to www.tsunamiguitars.com for my main website which contains a lot of these in different configurations and all the other products I produce. I know, it keeps me off the course a lot of the time, but what you gonna do when you need the money???? My official business is Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking. Thanks, everyone! If not interested, show your golfing friends. Also, multiple discounts available for dealers.

DSC04987.JPG

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
View attachment 23743 As a part-time woodworker who has been in the business on and off since 1971, I have developed a Golf Club Hat and Coat Rack that is a little different.
Mine feature two distinct things...one level, the wood features the hole, the fairway and the distance. The more complex level is shown here, tinted wood, sandtraps, water, defined greens and rough. Clubs are attached with industrial epoxy, and will hold over 75 lbs. I also put in keyhole screw holders on the back, no strings or wire here - set on 16" centers so you can hang this on two studs in the wall and know it will never come down or move when someone throws a coat up on it. Clubs vary, and I will show two different ones, but each one is distinct and unique. As with my guitars and jewelry boxes, these are unique individual items. See below, and also can go to www.tsunamiguitars.com for my main website which contains a lot of these in different configurations and all the other products I produce. I know, it keeps me off the course a lot of the time, but what you gonna do when you need the money???? My official business is Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking. Thanks, everyone! If not interested, show your golfing friends. Also, multiple discounts available for dealers.

View attachment 23744
Those are cool and would look good in the man cave.

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
You know, years ago I made a few wooden putters. Back then, I didn't have any real capability to shape or blend in a metal face or perimeter weight. I think now, as long as it is non-ferrous, like brass, copper, aluminum or even bronze, I have the capability. I've tossed it around. There are people out there way ahead of me, like this place in Canada. Custom Putters. Engraved Putter. Perfect Corporate Putting Gift. By Musty Putters
David Musty Putters has been out there for a while, and most likely uses a CNC machine, which I do not have. His prices reflect the fact they are hand finished, but man, that's a lot of money for a putter. The clear epoxy finish is no big deal.
That being said, the technology is not that high-tech, you simply have to think in terms of the geometry. I might try a couple, and let's see what they come up looking like. I got plenty of shafts laying around.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Is there a place that can help me understand the densities/weights of those prettier woods?

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
Actually, harder than you might think. The really comprehensive lists use the botanical names, which are gibberish to most of us. That being said, my heaviest woods that I keep in stock in any quantity would be Kingwood, Cocobolo, and I think I may have some Marblewood, (sometimes called stinkwood since it smells like urine when you cut it). Some intermediate weight species I carry would be some of the mahoganies, like African and Phillipine, Black Limba, Yellowheart, and some maples are surprisingly heavy, like the flame maples which are dense and very hard.
The correlation between density and hardness is a loose one. Mostly, the denser the harder, but not always. Such species would be older oak, which I carry some that is 145 years old. Very hard, but actually rather light since the sap is long gone. Others would be purpleheart, and bubinga, both very hard, but not that heavy and dense.
I think most of the guys who build these things use "pretty" as much as dense. Of all the clubs in our bag, the putter is probably the one closest to mostly selling on looks, and if you view any putter rack in a store, paint, funny shapes, it all sells a lot of bad putters.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I was secretly chasing the specific gravity to work out headweight vs mass questions, I would not care for a striated face of differrent densities. what do you think about a glass insert to provide a consistent clear striking surface?

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Those are super cool looking and would look great in a man cave, bar or at my front door!!
Great work!

OP
Tennessee

Tennessee

Jan 31, 2014
Cleveland, TN
Country
Tricky: That is an interesting idea, and with the proper face you certainly could do that. Ceramic inserts, as you know have been around for a while. In reality just fully colored glass. One problem for me is I am limited in sizing and doing fine shaping on glass. But there may be another option. I have a nice slab of granite that I could work a little better than the glass. It tends to not break as easily, certainly is dense, and the piece I have is about 1 1/4" thick, smooth face. I might be able to cut an insert out of that. I just have to get in the shop when I am not buried in guitars, hat racks, jewelry boxes, etc., so I can do some experimenting. Sold three coat racks and a guitar yesterday, so as you can imagine, I am a bit swamped at this point.

🔥 Latest posts