• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf coach wants to get me fitted - dilemma

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
I've had a couple lessons with an instructor who also happens to be a fitter. He has suggested i change my irons. That is, get new irons that are a semi CB with little offset with a different length, lie, shaft

So the local range where he works holds a demo night for a couple brands, and he invites me along to try them out... i thought i may as well try some clubs i havent tried before.. i like the mizuno range and i ended up quite liking the feel of the mp-60s

the mp-60s fits the bill as far as what he suggests i use.. even though i liked them, the price for these new is pretty steep.. so i tell him i'd prefer to shop around and get a deal i can more afford and even possibly get a second hand set at a fraction of their asking price (even after fitting)

Because that coach has a vested interest in me getting these clubs from the mizuno rep (he gets a cut).. he was pushing me toward buying the new set.. he went so far as to ask me what wedges i use and to even switch those to MP-R's. He didnt provide any reason as to why i should switch to the MP-Rs from my CG10's other then me getting a matching set! :confused:

The whole sales angle hasnt sat well with me and has left me wondering whether i continue with this coach

anyone come across this situation?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sounds like BS to me. Personally, unless the dude has me shooting sub 5 coming from a mid cap I'd find someone more concerned with my swing than my equipment.

OP
Fastback

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
Sounds like BS to me. Personally, unless the dude has me shooting sub 5 coming from a mid cap I'd find someone more concerned with my swing than my equipment.

After tonight, i was thinking the same thing..

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Sounds to me that he is just trying to make some extra money from you. I would find another instructor. It really sounds like he is more concerned with taking your money than he is teaching you.

If you are interested in getting some fitted clubs I would go elsewhere too. Find someone that doesn't have a vested interest in pushing you into a certain brand or price range set of clubs.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Your current clubs are pretty darn good. I RARELY find coaches who advocate switching irons. 99% of the time, they focus on your swing and what needs to be done to get it in form...

I had one of our assistants tell me that since cavity-backed perimeter-weighted irons were introduced (15-20 years ago?!?!) there have been few meaningful improvements made...and if you are generally happy with your irons, there is no need to consider switching.

On the other hand he said, the changes in drivers, fairway woods and the introduction of hybrids have indeed made a meaningful difference and keeping up with this technology (with an emphasis on finding the right shaft for you) is worth study and investment.

Incidentally, these comments are coming from a golf staff that has a fully stocked pro shop, filled with equipment...they DONT push equipment.

Recommend you change coaches. Stay focused on getting lessons and improving your swing.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Reminds me a lot of the couple of times I was in a local Dick's Sporting Goods at the weekend and the parents were letting their kids swing away with any clubs they wanted in the driving net. Of course the shop assistant would come over to 'supervise' and miraculously would tell the parent that actually their little angel wasn't just wildly swinging and barely making contact with the ball but showed a real, rare talent and could quite possibly be a child golf prodigy.

Naturally it would need a teacher to harness all this raw talent, and as if by magic he happened to have his business card with him that had his private number on for the instruction he gave on the side away from the store. I saw him pull that on at least 5 parents over the course of a couple of weekends...

Personally if anyone in any capacity gives you stories of how you could improve your game by just buying something that he happens to be able to supply I'd label him a salesman and NOT an objective advisor with your best interests at heart.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I find this whole bit about the wedges comical. I personally would ask him why if it doesn't both you to carry non-matching wedges and you like the feel of the Cleveland's, then why does he see the need to switch?

Then whatever he says, tell him you see no choice but to find another instructor as you obviously do not see eye to eye. And although you really want a new set of clubs, you think you may pick up some Cleveland irons to match your wedges as they feel better and obviously he thinks that makes a difference and obviously you need an instructor that specializes in your equipment needs.

I would dump him and make sure he knows why. You have decent clubs that can cover a large distribution of handicaps, and can be bent to fit your needs if they do not already. Not saying you may not like the MP60's better for whatever reason, but make sure it is your choice and buy them from someone else IMO. Again, this entire wedge thing baffles me.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
If you really do decide to pick up the MP-60s we all know many places where you can pick them up for much cheaper than new. By the way, I wouldn't shaft the instructor if everything else is going well. I mean, if you like the way he teaches and have seen improvements in your game, that is worth something. No one can MAKE you buy anything. If he is a jerk after you wouldn't buy the clubs then leave and tell him why. But if he respects your decision and is a good golf instructor then I think he is worth the chance.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
my instructor, or any good instructor, would not, and should not become half salesman when he is teaching.... he can sell clubs in the proshop, or telling people about them in a casual round, not while giving lessons...

if hes actually teaching you something and you are progressing, then i would stay, but only after he agrees to stop trying to peddle his clubs to you... but if hes not helping much, ditch him...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Unless you are 6'10" and using orange dot pings, it shouldn't matter.

The point is, unless the clubs are working against you noticably and you have to change your swing because the clubs don't fit, don't worry about it.

Personally, the point I think you should get fitted is when you get a general solid rubric to your swing, and every change will probably be minor, thus the clubs are catered to that swing.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I would tell him that if he wanted to check your lie angle thats cool and it might help. The part about getting new irons tell him that you will get them on e-bay for cheaper. If he gives you a hard time say GFY and get a new swing coach.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I would tell him that if he wanted to check your lie angle thats cool and it might help. The part about getting new irons tell him that you will get them on e-bay for cheaper. If he gives you a hard time say GFY and get a new swing coach.
i agree...

the lie angle is like the most underrated part of the l/l/l... if you have a bad lie angle, you might be hitting them fat, diggign the toe in, or hitting them left or right, and be mistaking them for pulls or pushes...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I find this whole bit about the wedges comical. I personally would ask him why if it doesn't both you to carry non-matching wedges and you like the feel of the Cleveland's, then why does he see the need to switch?

Then whatever he says, tell him you see no choice but to find another instructor as you obviously do not see eye to eye. And although you really want a new set of clubs, you think you may pick up some Cleveland irons to match your wedges as they feel better and obviously he thinks that makes a difference and obviously you need an instructor that specializes in your equipment needs.

I would dump him and make sure he knows why. You have decent clubs that can cover a large distribution of handicaps, and can be bent to fit your needs if they do not already. Not saying you may not like the MP60's better for whatever reason, but make sure it is your choice and buy them from someone else IMO. Again, this entire wedge thing baffles me.

That's cold - I like it...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.