• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Digest and Golf Magazine: The Rant

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The only ones I get are for the Majors and Ryder Cup, or if I find that I really like that issue.

Frankly, I've learned more from my dad than any coach I've had, any magazine, or any online site.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
One of my favorite books is "The Secret of Golf", edited and annotated by George Peper. I think Mr. Peper bought into the project with tongue planted firmly in cheek, since the book is a collection of tips from forty-seven "experts" thoughout the ages. It includes a chapter like "The King of Connection" (Jimmy Ballard), which promotes a pure mechanical style, juxtaposed with a chapter called "Set Yourself Free" (W. Timothy Gallwey), which promotes the total lack of mechanical swing thoughts.

I think what I like about swing experts is what I like about religious leaders: they're all right, and they're all wrong. We can each apply tips to our own swing, but only as long as we believe it works. And what we believe changes with our own experience. Golf and Golf Digest are perfect examples of religious texts. They both preach to the believer. And the preaching is easy, since most of us are true believers. Having said that, I like David Feherty, the major tournament writeups, and the articles about golf history. I read the tips, and some have helped. I've bought clubs based on the club tests (and almost always regretted it). I also just cancelled my subscription to both magazines. Why pay $30 a year for those rags when I can pay $5 more for a Shottalk premium membership, and have more fun learning from you guys?

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Why pay $30 a year for those rags when I can pay $5 more for a Shottalk premium membership, and have more fun learning from you guys?

I am so deeply touched, even though I know you were referring to everyone else. Still man, that's real (pounds chest twice with clinched fist).

SunnyDaze

Dec 11, 2006
I do a bit of traveling for work, so I use GD and GM for in-flight reading material. I got these subscriptions for free using some air miles, so I'm not out of pocket for them. Like others, I ignore most of the tips in these mags, relying on my instructor, who knows my game, for help. There is getting to be too much advertising in them, and they seem to be catering to people who apparently are in a much high tax bracket than me. My favorite mag is Golf World, which I do pay for and thoroughly enjoy. They don't have a lot of advertising, and there are no instructional tips.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I am so deeply touched, even though I know you were referring to everyone else. Still man, that's real (pounds chest twice with clinched fist).

The student is the master. (Sound of a delicate windchime and a gently babbling brook)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have playing golf for about 5 years now, and like any of my previous obsessions, I completely emmersed myself into it. This included buying every publication with the word "Golf" in the title, but over the years only 2 have remained at the right hand of my throne: Golf Digest and Golf Magazine. Each month I waited with baited breath for the stork in a USPS uniform to delivery my newest baby, and each month I fawned over the newest issue like a loving parent. Well, it took 5 years, but I have come to the realization that my 2 children are basically ugly, misinformed, contradicting, greedy idiots. It's a hard truth to come to grips with, but it's true.

This is no sudden revelation. I have kept every issue (over 120) in my garage as sort of a time capsule of golf history, and since I am moving this week, I have had to start packing up my house. So like a good husband, I moved some boxes around for about 10 minutes and proceeded to go through my collection. There were numerous covers boasting how you could "Buy a better game" (last month's GM said exactly that), how there were secrets inside that would add 10, 15 nay! 25 yards to your drives, and other such BS.

Well friends, I have had it. I could care less that for only one mortgage payment I can purchase unnecessary clubs that will make me look like I can play, but won't really help. I hate that a 150 page magazine has 50 pages of crap I could care less about, such as last month's "Best New Courses You Can Play" (unless you make less than $60K, which we in the military do). Honestly, I am not planning on dropping $1500 on a 3 day golf trip, so I don't care where I should eat while NOT on vacation. And I love the contradictory advice bestowed up us by teaching pros who make more per hour than should be leagally allowed unless you are saving lives. Maybe there should be a magazine called "Golf Tips" where they offer nothing but bad instructive advice (oh wait, I think there is).

Unfortunately, there are aspects of each magazine that I DO like: David Fehrety in GM is always the first page I turn to, and some of the articles and player prifiles are awesome, especially those dealing with golf history (I have learned quite a bit about how Palmer and Nicklaus figure into the great scheme of things that I was ignorant to before). But sadly, this has proven too little in my decision to not renew my subscriptions.

And if you have read all the way to this point, well then either you have feelings one way or the other on this subject, or you are really, really bored. Either way, I'd like to see if anyone else out there feels the same as I do.

I wen thru the same thing about a yr ago when we moved into our new house. I have kept my subscriptions only because they are gifts, but if you want a real good golf mag that has cut out the instruction and advertising then get yourself a subscription to Golf World...

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Plus here you get cheesey comments like quoted, :p

Mmm, cheese!
-----------------------------
It seems that Golf World and Golf Weekly are the 2 magazines that you guys seem to feel have what I am looking for. Maybe I should see about getting a subscription to one or both of those.

Can't see myself on the throne without some kind of golf related reading material. I can only drool over the same Edwin Watts catalogue so many times.

TheGolfersPlague

Jul 27, 2010
Reading it wouldn't hurt, but just like most media nowadays, yeah they are going to sell you stuff and yeah they are going to say it'll fix your game and make you the coolest. I'd spend more time talking with golfers in the field or on the internet learning about tips than reading advertisments.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
The trick is to know which info is garbage for you and which is good. Every once in a while I pick up something good from the tips and practice methods in the mags. Most of the info is geared for hackers though and is not helpful for low handicappers looking to shave another stroke or two.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online