• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Fan Major Grand Slam

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
Do any of you have a career golf fan Grand Slam? Meaning have you attended at least one each of the four major championships. I've attended all but The Open. I've been to four US Opens (one at Oakland Hills in Michigan and three at Pinehurst here in NC). I've seen three PGAs (one at Atlanta Athletic Club, one at Kiawah and one here in Charlotte at Quail Hollow). I've lost count of Masters I've attended but it's over 20. My first Masters was in 1970. It was relatively easy to get tickets up until the late 90s and Augusta is only three hours away. My future plans include another PGA next Spring at Kiawah and finally, The Open Championship at The Old Course in 2022. Let me know how many you have attended and if you think you'll ever get The Slam.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Two US Opens, 2015 at Chambers Bay and 2019 at Pebble Beach.

That's all I got and I doubt I'll ever get a slam.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
1 Masters, 1 US Open (Pinehurst), and 1 Hall Of Fame Open back when it was in Pinehurst (never should have been moved). Met Ben Crenshaw at that one when he was very young and just coming up in the golf world. I probably won't get all 4 either.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Well I certainly miscalculated on this exercise. I thought it would catch fire and generate many responses. Being from the Southeast, I failed to understand that not only is The Masters a very tough ticket, but getting to Augusta from most of the country is not easy. My apologies to all my fellow Shottalk posters for not giving this more thought before I introduced it.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Well I certainly miscalculated on this exercise. I thought it would catch fire and generate many responses. Being from the Southeast, I failed to understand that not only is The Masters a very tough ticket, but getting to Augusta from most of the country is not easy. My apologies to all my fellow Shottalk posters for not giving this more thought before I introduced it.
First Commandment: NEVER apologize to a Shottalker! If we're not offended... or offending... we're not happy!! :D

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
It's all good, man (Saul Goodman). I think it's a good topic.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Hell I haven’t even been to a PGA event let alone a Major. One of these days I should hit up the Travelers. I briefly entertained going to the PGA when it was at Oak Hill-I think that’s the Oak course in Rochester, NY. Couldn’t make it work though.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Btw I think it was the one Shaun Micheel won.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Never been to a major. No desire to attend a major unless someone wants to invite me to a VIP tent/area.

I have been to two pro golf events, the Senior Tour event at the Brickyard in Indianapolis back in the 90’s and the Disney event back when Rickie had a ton of hair. Only reason I went to the Disney event was because I was given VIP passes/access to the pavilion on the 18th hole. I found it hard to follow the event when attending as you only get to see such a small slice of the activity. At least in the VIP Tent they usually have a TV as well as air conditioning and alcohol.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
This reminds me of the first US Open I ever attended in 1996 at Oakland Hills north of Detroit. A customer took me and we were in the hospitality tent near 18 when a huge storm came out of nowhere. The wind started swirling and it rained cats and dogs for about thirty minutes. We thought the tent was going to get airborne. Thanks to good luck and vodka I didn't panic or even get wet. We finally came out and it looked like a a tornado had hit the course. Miraculously the crew was able to clean up the debris and get the water out of the bunkers overnight and play resumed the next morning. I had to return to Charlotte so I only saw one practice round and the Thursday opening round. Steve Jones outlasted Tom Lehman to win.

🔥 Latest posts