• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf films

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
845
1
OK chaps, seeing as the earth rotates and orbits the sun we get freezing cold days and it goes dark, therefore we can't play golf all the time. At these times I have opted for golf films to stave off the pangs for the game and here is my brief review:

Tin Cup: OK I suppose but a little irritating (mainly because of Costner being rather unconvincing as a pro). Th ebest bit is when Don Johnson challenges Costner to a long hitting comp with 7 irons.

Happy Gilmore: Quality film, I've watched it about 6 times. Not the most high brow of films with examples like this;

Shooter - "I eat shits like you for breakfast!"
Gilmore - "You eat shit for breakfast?!"

I defy you to watch this film and to resist trying to hit a ball with a run up.

Caddy Shack: If you haven't tried putting whilst uttering the mantra "Na na na na na na na na" like Chevy Chase, then you must have a flawless putting stroke as it has become the last resort for many a desperate golfer. This is a reasonably good film always worth a watch.

Caddy Shack 2: WTF? Just no!

Leslie Nielsens Bad Golf Made Easier: OK not strictly a film but very funny none the less. You will all see yourselves in the co-star as we first see him on the practice ground trying every gimmick and technique all at the same time.

Legend of Bagger Vance: Err don't know, my wife won't let me watch it cause it looks boring. Is it any good?
 

longiron

Well-Known Member
May 2, 2005
332
1
EnglishGolfer said:
OK chaps, seeing as the earth rotates and orbits the sun we get freezing cold days and it goes dark, therefore we can't play golf all the time. At these times I have opted for golf films to stave off the pangs for the game and here is my brief review:



Caddy Shack: If you haven't tried putting whilst uttering the mantra "Na na na na na na na na" like Chevy Chase, then you must have a flawless putting stroke as it has become the last resort for many a desperate golfer. This is a reasonably good film always worth a watch.


Legend of Bagger Vance: Err don't know, my wife won't let me watch it cause it looks boring. Is it any good?
Caddy Shack should be watch several times a year whether you need it or not.

Bagger Vance IS a reasonably good film and worth a watch.
 

EDSGolf

Well-Known Member
Aug 24, 2005
446
0
I found Bagger Vance ok'ish and Legend of Bobby Jones a bit boring and slow.
 

Kilted Arab

Well-Known Member
Apr 30, 2005
1,202
4
EDSGolf said:
I found Bagger Vance ok'ish and Legend of Bobby Jones a bit boring and slow.

I actually like the Bobby Jones film! Some of that was down to seeing St Andrews and bringing back memories, but overall I thought it was pretty good.
 

EDSGolf

Well-Known Member
Aug 24, 2005
446
0
Kilted Arab said:
I actually like the Bobby Jones film! Some of that was down to seeing St Andrews and bringing back memories, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

There was one great part in the Bobby Jones movie....at the end.....I won't ruin it.....but when he arrives at a piece of land and says "this is where bleep bleep bleep." I got goose bumps.
 

Loop

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
1,418
3
EDSGolf said:
There was one great part in the Bobby Jones movie....at the end.....I won't ruin it.....but when he arrives at a piece of land and says "this is where I met my wife." I got goose bumps.

Note: you should have goose bumps. ;)
 

SilverBullet

Well-Known Member
Oct 11, 2005
33
0
How can you possibly leave out Dorf on Golf. It is a must have for any serious golfer.

Also has anyone seen Dead Solid Perfect? Randy Quaid stars in it. I read some pretty good reviews for it on amazon, just wondering if anyone here has seen it.
 

Benguk

Mod of the jibba-jabba
Apr 15, 2005
41
0
I liked all those movies. Caddyshack 2 was forgetable. You forgot The Greatest Game ever played in theaters now, that was awsome, already seen it twice. I have seen Leslie Nelson's over 30 times because I go to a camp at my driving range 2 weeks a year just to have fun and this is always on when we take our breaks. Bager Vance was great but the Bobby Jones movie was boring in my opinion. I will never forget what the old man said when Bobby hit two shots in the Bunker. Ive seen all those movies, only the Bobby Jones movie in my opinion was boring.
 

Kilted Arab

Well-Known Member
Apr 30, 2005
1,202
4
Benguk said:
I will never forget what the old man said when Bobby hit two shots in the Bunker.

Ah yes, the "stupidity" quote!

I don't think it was boring, but you probably need an interest in the history of golf to make it more interesting for you - and the St Andrews element, along with the dour Scottish caddies certainly made it more interesting for me.
 

Benguk

Mod of the jibba-jabba
Apr 15, 2005
41
0
Kilted Arab said:
Ah yes, the "stupidity" quote!

I don't think it was boring, but you probably need an interest in the history of golf to make it more interesting for you - and the St Andrews element, along with the dour Scottish caddies certainly made it more interesting for me.

Well not that it was boring in a scenic sense but the story. I too enjoyed seeing some links courses, it's just Bobby's life wasn't that interesting to me.
 

🔥 Latest posts

Top