• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Galaxy today

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I went back to GG today for my driver. It is a Hibore XL 9.5* with a stiff 65 gram Stulz Nano Aero at 44 inches and D3. The LM was being used for the entire time I was there, so I had to use the simulator. I don't trust it, but carry avg. was 256 yards which seemed a little long for me. :) The biggest difference I felt between the Stulz and the stock shaft was the absolute smoothness of the Stulz. Smoother than my limey, I think. Just felt awesome.

I also tried a bunch of irons today. List was, in no particular order: Ping g10, i10, s58; Mizuno mx25, mp57, mp60, mp67; Taylormade r7, r7tp; Adams idea pro; Callaway x20 pros, x forged; and some maltby iron, don't remember the model. Don't wanna go into all the details, but the winner by a wide, wide margin was:

*drumroll*

I10's :D I will be back for a fitting.

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
OMG...you guys kill me! I'm trapped in Abilene, Tx where we have one...count em...one, golf shop. In a normal size town you could at least divide your time haging out in all the stores to get a fix....I have to monitor my patronage so I don't turn into the wierd guy who comes in the shop 3 times a week! We went to Dallas a few weeks ago....3 hours away....and I was stoked to troll around Edwin Watts and Golfsmith in the same weekend.

Nate

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
kind of a newb question here, but what is the difference between a launch monitor and a simulator, I was actually under the impression that a launch monitor was used in the simulator to "simulate" what an actual golf ball would do.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
A launch monitor is an actual deductive machine that measures clubhead speed, launch angle, spin of the ball, ball speed, etc. etc. etc. Most stores use a Vector Pro Launch as their monitor of choice. It is a great indoor launch monitor for sure.

A simulator is just a video game really. All information is estimated by how hard, and where, you hit the screen. The only information I may think is anywhere near accurate is the ball speed as that isn't hard to deduce. Take ALL other swing statistics from a simulator with a grain of salt.

If you have the choice and are buying clubs, ALWAYS use the launch monitor. Vector (Accusport), Zelocity, and if you really get lucky, Trackman.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Oh, okay. The Golf town where I get all of my clubs actually does use one of these in their simulator. After your shot, you get to see everything about it like spin, carry etc. Thanks for the clarification.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Oh, okay. The Golf town where I get all of my clubs actually does use one of these in their simulator. After your shot, you get to see everything about it like spin, carry etc. Thanks for the clarification.

No, it is still just a simulator. A launch monitor is measuring the actual amount of spin and launch angle, etc. It takes two pictures of the ball and measures how much it has rotated and how far it has moved between the pictures to calculate everything. I believe some also use radar??? The simulator will tell you these also, but not with the same kind of accuracy.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Oh thanks, Ill check that next time that I am there, I know that it tells you the spin on the shots, but there is a good chance that you are right.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Yes, new. :) And you really pay that much over there?

🔥 Latest posts