• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf game suggestions

295yards

May 5, 2009
I'm getting out for a round with my wife and an old friend and his wife. He is not that good but she can barely hit the ball at all. Last time we went out she enjoyed herself, but at times I think she is succeptable to the frustrations and you can see she gets embarassed.
When we talked about our round together she assured me that neither has hit a ball since the last time we were out, over a year ago!!!
I was thinking to take the pressure off with a game of best ball or "scramble" as it is called.
Any other suggestions?
Any games that can be played other than a scramble that could be fun for a group of people just looking to hit all of their shots and enjoy the game a little more?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Two best I have seen for this situation are a scramble as you mention, and the second and possibly my favorite for this case is what I know to be a Modified Pinehurst format. May be known by other names. This is more of a 2 person team format where for a 4some you would have 2 teams.

Divide up the teams fairly evenly on ability. So whoever is better between you and your wife, put on the team with the worst of the other couple. Both hit a tee shot, then both play your teammates teeshot on the second shot. After that, you take the better of the two after the two shots and do a scramble till the ball is in the hole.

They do this on our couples nights up here a good part of the time, and I think it makes the not so good golfers feel like they actually contributed more as they are guaranteed to use at least one of their shots each hole regardless. Is also a lot of fun in the sense of couples. Works really well because even if one of the ladies has a poor shot, it is from the red tees and you can recover better than had it been off the whites.

Could even swith the teams around after 9 if desired, or even do strokes.

edit 1 - always fun in my case where I get to play my wifes teeshot out of the fairway and she gets to try and hit my shot out of the woods, for which she has no prior concept on why she would want to play golf out of the woods. ;) Probably Very Therapeutic for married couples. Oh sorry, I didn't mean to hit that in that sticker bush full of Poison Ivy :laugh:

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Was thinking of a two team event as well. In this case it'd be me and my friends wife vs. my wife and buddy.
This format is still very unfair I think, but could still be lots of fun.
Thanks for the suggestion

🔥 Latest posts