• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

golf glove?

bigfish423

Aug 1, 2005
What is the real purpose of a golf glove, besides looking extra cool on the tee box? LOL :)

I used to use one for a few years, but never felt that it helped me. Anyone else have a different opinion? If you find that they do help, why do they help? What kind do you use?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
It keeps your hands from blistering. You use your left more forcefully when you're a right-hander, so that's why most people are wearing it on their left hand. My right hand gets pretty beat too though. Maybe I should wear one on both hands.
I don't think it's meant to help.. maybe it has a better grip on the sweatier days, but I think it's mostly to protect your hands

Rufio

Golfaholic
Jul 15, 2005
It's just a feel thing for me. I have no problem playing without a glove I can hit just as well, but it feels better to hit with a glove. Anything from 100 yards in I don't wear a glove because that range is techincally "short game" range for me.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I live in TX so the glove helps me hang on the club when it gets really hot and I start sweating buckets. They frown on killing people with flying clubs here.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
They wouldn't frown if the clubs were flying with the gloves...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
A glove provides increased grip for your top hand. The majority of grip pressure comes from your last 3 fingers (pinky, ring, middle). If you are getting blisters, you are adjusting your grip during your swing which is not good. Poor grips usually result in poor shots. The great Sam Snead described the golf grip as if you are holding a live bird in your hands. Tight enough so the bird does not escape, but not so tight that you hurt the bird. Gripping a club too tightly puts a lot of tension in your forearms which makes it almost impossible to fully release the club head during the swing.

The golf glove allows you to grip the club lightly and still maintain good adhesion with the grip.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
In addition to protecting my left hand (I'll play around 150 times this year), I feel that the glove makes a more secure grip. Wearing a glove also feels better, in the sense that at the top of my backswing, I feel some air between my hand and the shaft when I don't wear a glove, which is a little spooky. Over the years, I've sometimes removed my glove as I'm approaching the green, thinking that I'll be putting and won't need it. Sometimes in these situations, instead I find my ball in thick greenside rough and try to pitch out without re-applying my glove. Big mistake, because with my typically light grip pressure, shots from the rough with no glove often twist the club in my hands, leading to loss of direction and/or distance control. On tee shots, I play almost as well without a glove (I've tried it, many times) as with a glove. I only get a little "tweak" at the top when it feels as though the club might be coming off my left {control} hand. But on shots from the turf, I want a glove. Because I DO hold the club lightly, gloves last me a long time. Not wearing a glove is just not worth missing a shot or three a round due to slippage.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
jc@bg said:
In addition to protecting my left hand (I'll play around 150 times this year), I feel that the glove makes a more secure grip. Wearing a glove also feels better, in the sense that at the top of my backswing, I feel some air between my hand and the shaft when I don't wear a glove, which is a little spooky. Over the years, I've sometimes removed my glove as I'm approaching the green, thinking that I'll be putting and won't need it. Sometimes in these situations, instead I find my ball in thick greenside rough and try to pitch out without re-applying my glove. Big mistake, because with my typically light grip pressure, shots from the rough with no glove often twist the club in my hands, leading to loss of direction and/or distance control. On tee shots, I play almost as well without a glove (I've tried it, many times) as with a glove. I only get a little "tweak" at the top when it feels as though the club might be coming off my left {control} hand. But on shots from the turf, I want a glove. Because I DO hold the club lightly, gloves last me a long time. Not wearing a glove is just not worth missing a shot or three a round due to slippage.

I like those Foot Joy synthetic gloves...I will get about 25 rounds out of one.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:

I wish I could wear those. Every time I've tried a synthetic glove it's slipped on my hand as soon as I started to sweat. After a few holes it even starts to feel itchy like I'm alergic to whatever they make them from.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Bravo said:

Hmmmm....Footjoy Weather Soft Synthetic Golve.....Ohhhhhh!

Love that glove! Buy them whenever I find a special on them. I will keep a glove for the whole season unless it is a cheap glove that is poorly made.

tsiguy96

Aug 6, 2005
i take mine off after im doing using it, the resulting tan line from having a glove on is horrid

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Tsi, I totally feel your pain.

I looked at my hands after 27 holes one long day with no shade, and was like O_O

Yin and yang, I tell ya.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.