• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf GPS?

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
I'm looking to purchase a golf gps. I've searched different sites on reviews on the top gps's and I keep reading on different sites that the Golflogix GPS-8 and the Sky Caddie SG5 are the top 2 and back and forth on these sites of which is the best. Could anyone give me there experiences with these models and your opinions on which one is better over all? I read on some that sky caddie is hard to pick up satellites on cloudy days? Is this true on both of these models? Thanks in advance

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have the Golflogix & love it, have never had any issues with the unit not working on very cloudy days.

Obviously I am partial to this unit but having never tried the skycaddie I can't say it's better.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Check out my review of the new iGolf Triton in the equipment reviews section. At $199 for the unit and $34 for the annual service this unit is hard to beat. The yardages are spot on, its easy to use, its tiny (about the size of a flip phone) and you own the courses with this unit once you download them. This unit just hit the market Jan 12th and is not available in stores yet. It is only available on their website right now. I gotta say I am very impressed....and I am a very difficult customer to please.

LGL

Jan 26, 2009
I thought I replied to this post this morning but it's obviously lost out there in the big blue yonder?

Anyway - as I was saying earlier......

I have a Skycaddie SG5. I can't comment on any other types as the Skycaddie is the only one I've used. I've had it just over a year and I highly recommend it. I can't say I've ever experienced any problems with satellite signals regardless of the weather. In the early days before all the courses were mapped out I used to email Skycaddie and they were very good at sending someone out to map any course I wanted to play, usually within a couple of days. Only once have I had to play without it but I was in a particularly obscure part of France.

The biggest problem for me now is that if I'm playing in a competition where GPS are banned they I feel lost without it!

The best part of using one is from 100 yards and in. For me this can be 3 different wedges. Last year I cut my handicap from 7 to 5. Personally I think the Skycaddie had a great deal to do with it.:thumbs up:

RBG

Jul 13, 2008
Just get the iGolf Neo and be done with it! (Unless you want to spend more time over your GPS than your shot:D)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Love my Skycaddie SG4. Haven't ever tried any others so really have no basis for comparison... but I'm happy with mine.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you don't mind setting your own points, and mostly want front/back/middle, just get the iGolf Neo for the price of a date with Eracer.

OP
bfrank3502

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
I may risk to try this new IGOLF Saturn I've been reading about that just came out for 2009 on IGOLF.com. I looks really neat and lots of more functions to play with such as scorecard, and handicap tracking. Holds upto 100 courses and you don't have to renew the annual fee to keep the courses on the Saturn. The only thing that scares me is this is so new with new image course detailed as the email that they sent me today about this new product. It's $299 but all the ones I'm looking at right now range between $250-$350. What the heck, I believe I'll order one tonight:bang:

Members online

No members online now.