• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Gripping Input

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, I'm all set up to re-grip my clubs. Got a decent vise with a rubber shaft protector. Some tape and solvent and a tray to catch the solvent. Now is my question. (I used to re-grip my clubs when you had to "wind" the tape on and not the 2" wide strips they use now).

In any case I'll make it work but I see in the YouTube videos many are using air to put on the grips (with tape). I see they make air guns to do this like this one....

Speedy Grip™ - Golf Grip Air Installation Tool Model: SG-2

How do you guys do it (PaPaD and others)? Air or solvent? Always looking to do the job better. Thanks for any info you give.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Many will explain how simply and easy it is with air. I've tried it and failed miserably. I regrip two or three sets/year and still use the tape and solvent method. I've used charcoal lighter fluid as the solvent for years and have never had an issue. The upside of using air is that the grips can be reusable. When I've tried it, the grips I've tried to remove have ballooned up and look like a bull snake that has swallow eggs whole... and are just as trashed as are those my hook-knife blade slices off.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I noticed all the guys using air to install CUT off their old grips.

Typically that's because the previous set was tape/solvent install. Which means there's no other option.

I have done three ways. Tape/solvent, tape/air, no tape/air.
  • Just air is the easiest, and so far I have never had issues with grips turning. They come off easy.
  • Tape and air is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. More likely that you will blow up a grip. You have to cut the grips off.
  • Tape/solvent is pretty easy, but more messy.
I stick with just air. I don't have any fancy guns...just the typical air nozzle that you get with a compressor. Maybe if you were doing hundreds of them a day it would make sense to have the gun...but IMO it's not necessary at all.

EDIT: For $24, that might be worth it. They were more expensive back in the day...

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Typically that's because the previous set was tape/solvent install. Which means there's no other option.

I have done three ways. Tape/solvent, tape/air, no tape/air.
  • Just air is the easiest, and so far I have never had issues with grips turning. They come off easy.
  • Tape and air is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. More likely that you will blow up a grip. You have to cut the grips off.
  • Tape/solvent is pretty easy, but more messy.
I stick with just air. I don't have any fancy guns...just the typical air nozzle that you get with a compressor. Maybe if you were doing hundreds of them a day it would make sense to have the gun...but IMO it's not necessary at all.

EDIT: For $24, that might be worth it. They were more expensive back in the day...
I ordered the gun just in case. I know I can do the solvent thing with no air. But being a lazy, retired old man....;)

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Air and hairspray, not aerosol just a pump bottle, it will lubricate and then dry & offers a hold as well as any tape. Key with air is not use too much, just enough to get the grip to slide over, anymore and they will balloon up and basically become trash.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I use air compressor with this tool. It is well designed except for the length (see below). Here are some caveats:
1. First rule of grip club - Grips that are old, installed with tape and solvent need to be cut off. You're wasting your time trying to remove them with air. Go ahead and try - you might get lucky, but wear face protection.
2. Winn grips have an underlisting that requires plenty of air pressure and a little solvent to get them on.
3. Grips that have been installed with air (and no tape) will come off VERY easily and can be re-used easily.
4. I put a little piece of tape (masking or grip tape) over the shaft butt to help get the grip started.....maybe 1 inch down the shaft.
5. No solvent or tape is needed - grips will stick to the shaft believe it or not.
6. It's OK to use solvent if it makes it easier, just use mineral spirits because it dries VERY quickly.
7. It takes a little practice, and some grips are just too plain thin and will swell up and pop no matter what you do (like Adams OEM grips - paper thin).
8. HINT on the golfworks tool- that protection pipe that comes with it is too ******* short. It does not cover then entire grip, so you are not fully protected and the last inch or so can swell/pop. I made a new pipe with pvc from Lowe's plumbing. It's thin walled drain pvc that goes under sinks.
9. When removing grips, I spray mineral spirits into the butt grip hole before blowing air in. Helps a lot.

Bottom line is it is really nice when building clubs or installing new grips. Removing old grips? Not so much.

Last edited:

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
What about those of us who have adult size hands and use multiple layers of build up tape?

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
What about those of us who have SASQUATCH size hands and use multiple layers of build up tape?
Same deal. Just use masking tape (nonstick on outside) to build them up and blow them on, or use Jumbo grips, or both. The inside of rubber grips is very tacky. They hold still just fine.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.