• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

golf guru vs iGolf neo

aceillini

Long live "THE CHIEF"
Aug 23, 2006
I am wanting to get some opinions on these two GPS units.Is there anyone here that has compared the two and came to a good decision?Any user experiences would great to hear.Thanks

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Never heard of the Golf Guru until now. Looks interesting, they have a comparison on their site although only compare it to the bigger igolf unit.
GPS Golf Guru - Compare
I have never used or seen the igolf neo outside of their site, although best I can tell it is only different from the regular igolf in that it is smaller, lighter, only allows 7 points instead of 11 counting the green and comes with a rechargeable battery. So you could probably compare that with the golf guru. One feature that stands out to me on igolf is that you keep the files on your PC, not sure about Golf Guru. And of course being able to map your own points, which looks to be the same assuming it is not just front back and center of the green.

Between the two it looks like the Golf Guru has stat features, free courses, although cost about twice what the guru does. I think you have seen this but will provide the link anyways of my experience with igolf.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-reviews/10610-igolf-gps-2.html

I guess if I walked the Neo's size would have appeal to me, but quite honestly I would prefer the standard igolf mainly because of the extra points and it uses AA batteries, so you can carry extras. Although if you download all your course, the igolf only currently allow 4 points and front back and center on their site.

edit 1 - being able to map 30 points per hole looks pretty good. If you get it, I would probably download every course known to man in the first week just in case they do not last or require you pay at a later time.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I also like that the guru allow more than 6 character descriptions. Although it would appear (not certain) that you link the device to the website, and not store it on the PC. which would concern me if they later decide to charge, or go under. They also appear to have fewer courses but if they allow uploads that will change. While you map you own, I gotta be honest, that is only something I would likely do on courses I play once every week or two or my home course in my case.

Lastly I would add that there are a few discrepancies on their comparison sheet, some both ways and none of which I see making a big difference, so I would compare with the iGolf.com: Golf GPS, Golf Software, Online Golf Community featuring Golf Course News & Reviews website.

I would also be interested to see how many points are on the downloads. Originally the igolf only had front back and center and IMO falsly advertised that part.

OP
aceillini

aceillini

Long live "THE CHIEF"
Aug 23, 2006
yeah the main concerns I have are (1)the battery life and replacement (2) not alot of courses.As for cost they are really close.If you pay 150 for the Neo and have the 35 membership for two years it costs 220 while the price of the Guru is 210 on manufacturers ebay site with membership til 2011.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Actually, that is something I now see today and never saw before. To the best of my recollection, when I joined it was not a Annual Membership, but instead simply for the number of courses you download. Then $10 for an addition 25 courses. So it looks like I need to use up my credits by next month. I'm glad you mentioned this, as I would not have known until it expired and I went on to download a course.

In all honesty and as I mentioned in the other thread, I am not real happy with their business practices and support. It is unlikely I will renew my membership, so I will likely just use up my credits then use my range finder on the course I don't have. While their practices are not enough to make me say I wouldn't buy their product because they have more of the courses I play, it is enough for me to say that if another unit has more of the course you play, it may be a better option IMO. This assuming they will have better practices. Again, the unit works great and I already have most of the course downloaded that I play and still have 15 credits left, and you don't have to have a membership to use the device, so it works for me.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
since Uncle Sam has felt generous enough to give me some of my cash back.i have been checking out gps systems.

i have been trying to decide between Garmin Golf Logix and Sky Caddie SG 2 or 2.5.both already have my course mapped.but now that i have looked at the Golf Guru i am not sure which way to go.although Guru doesnt yet have my course i could map it myself.

man i hate decisions.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I have a SG3 and unlike some people I have never had any problems with it whatosever. While you do have to pay a subscription for course maps, they are quite excellent and accurate. All the courses I played this past year are 4-star mapped courses. That was very handy for courses I only played once or twice.

If it were me and I was buying now, I'd buy an SG2.5 or SG5. I am watching to see how the Golf Guru works out in the longer term though as it has some real potential I think, especially if they get a large course database built up. To me, mapping your own courses is only good if you play the same course all the time. Around here, even if you did you'd probably get beat senseless by the other players on the course if you tried to map the course while you played. I've always wondered how/when people map their own course? You almost have to go out when no one else is on the course and wander each hole marking the points of interest.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have little familiarity with the Garmin Golf Logix as far as downloading, memberships, etc, etc.

Although when we were up in Niagara Falls and played The Legends course they used the device. The interface seemed pretty nice and if memory serves me it automatically switched over to new holes and new points as you went through the course. It was actually a very nice device from what I saw. I would also say in my experience, Garmin is a leader when it comes to actual GPS devices.

Again though, I know nothing about how it sets up, the downloads, etc. etc.

I was also kinda scared to take it off the beaten path and mess around with the features because it was preset and I figured if I f'd it up it would be useless for the rest of the round.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
thanks to MGP i joined WRX.so i could see what they had to say about Golf logix.it dosent have the features of the others out there.

but they apparrently have a new model coming out in a few weeks(3/1).so i guess i will wait to see what new features it has and go from there.if the new model dosent come out it looks like it is between the Guru and a 2.5 or 3 Sky Caddie.

thanks for the input guys.i might actually make an informed purchase for a change.:laugh:

pflogger

Mar 15, 2008
I had posted over on the wrx forum after purchasing and using the Guru. I bought one soon after they came out. I had an SG3 for two years, and a Golf Logix for one. I bought the Golf Logix cuz I wanted a unit that actually held satellite signals long enough to play a complete round, and where you didn't have to reset the gps receiver. The Golf Logix is not bad, but I just never got used to the format of the screen.

Anyway, the Guru has been rock steady since my purchase. It doesn't drop signals or lose distances. I'm really only concerned with fast, reliable distances, and this unit does it better than any. I think the thing I want to really say about the Golf Guru is that there is no better customer service. I have received no less than 10 "Guru Notices" since November informing me of software upgrades, enhancements to the web site, to giving us little secrets on how to get more out of the Guru than what's in the manual. My satisfaction with their support started with exceptional communication I received when purchasing the unit off eBay.

I haven't had the need to email their support, or call in, but if what I've read on other sites is a reflection, I know they will be there when needed. Now, let me tell how many times I received ANYTHING from the companies that manufactured my other GPS units...ZERO!!! :) Ok...that's not entirely true. I did receive notifications that my annual subscription was about to expire.

🔥 Latest posts