• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Injuries

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Next week I will be attending the III Golf Medicine Meeting from the American Sports Medicine Association in San José, Costa Rica.

Its the first time I assist (I hadn't been able to find sponsorship before :cool:), and I think its a great opportunity to get to know some of the best sport surgeons in America, learn the latest surgical techniques and treatments for golf specific injuries, etc. One conference will be held by Dr. Thomas Rosenberg about the Double-Boundle Repair Technique used on a "famous golfer" you all know about about a year ago ;) It is mostly a surgical congress, but nevertheless, the least severe issues should be covered as well.

I've seen a lot of posts about injuries in the last few days, and I would like to contribute to the Shot-Talk community in any possible way. My idea is to bring whatever is relevant for you guys, and try to translate such info to help you understand or clear your doubts.

If any of you guys has a specific question or curiosity you want to be answered, please feel free to contact me (you can post it here or PM me if you prefer). I'll do my best to answer it or try to find info from the "real guys in the game".

Cheers...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Very cool!! I'd be interested in back injuries related to golf and arthritis like some famous players suffer in their later years.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
My elbow hurts. It never hurt before in 37 years of playing. Ask what's up with that if you can.

Kevin

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
I have Tenosynovitis-like symptoms in my left wrist, just where it joins the Thumb. I have dislocated my thumbs badly at various times in the past (old rugby faux pas), so that is the probable cause. I manage the condition with Nurofen Plus at the moment but it aches like a sob after a round and limits me to two rounds per week max at present.

I know it is mostly about surgery but I would just would like to know if they might be coming up with any improved drug treatment for this type of Tendon condition, I am a "big baby" when it comes to needles 'n' knives medicine.

letstalk

Oct 26, 2010
there should be no injuries caused by playing golf,all a player does is go up and hit a ball,easy stretches before tee off should eliminate these back and shoulder woos seemed to be caused by stiff bodies

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Two problems that have developed for me.

Arthritis in my hips......I think I am wearing out my hip joints from firing my hips thru the shot and from walking the course.

Problem #2 is Atrhritis or some other joint injury to the nuckle on my left pinkie. Another wear and tear issue from making 30,000+ golf swings per year.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
there should be no injuries caused by playing golf,all a player does is go up and hit a ball,easy stretches before tee off should eliminate these back and shoulder woos seemed to be caused by stiff bodies

letstalk

Wait until you get old and say that.

OP
xamilo

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

-First of all, golf produces thousands of injuries every year
-Second, the problem with golf is about your spine and knees mainly, having the back and shoulder issues to be far away from these injuries
-Third, the golf swing itself, even done in the most proper way, is anatomically and bio-mechanically incorrect, which would lead to muscular/joint/muscle stress, which is reason enough to cause injuries. It is true stretching, fitness, muscle tone do help to avoid a lot of injuries, but you can't play against nature obviousness..

So next time you put up a statement, be sure to have the minimum knowledge and research behind it before assuring something :D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Guys, don't worry about letstalk. There was more to him than met the eye & I doubt if he'll be back. ;)

🔥 Latest posts