• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf lessons

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
If I had 8 lessons over the span of 6 weeks, should I spread it out over the six weeks, or do a more intensive two week plan where I go almost everyday (1 hour each).
This is my 3rd year playing, I'm not good, but not too bad either... in the 90's the majority of the time.

And why =D

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
I did a 5 lesson package when I stareted (guy has a buy 4 get 1 free deal)

I took two lessons in three days, Monday $ Wednesday and played on the weekend and dropped a lot of strokes... I was BAD, btw, lol.

Then I spread the last three over 3 weeks, I went each of the next three Wednesdays and played on the weekends or at least hit the range a few times.

I liked having some time between ;lessons, it let me work on the two or three main points he drove home at the previous lesson. Don't move the back leg, swing down, short backswing for instance. Then next week it was swing down, watch my weight, loosen grip, etc.

I think all of the stuff he was telling me to change would have overloaded me if it all happened in a week. I was able to focus on small changes and get them down over a period of a months or so and my head wasn't full of 10 different tips. It really helped me focus on my biggest issues each week.

I say spread em out.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
See that's what I would think too, because you get to "practice what you learned" and then go next week and learn some more new things. Then I started talking to another guy who adviced me to think about bunching them together because that way bad habits won't get a chance to creep in, any thoughts on that?

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I would spread it out to have timw to work what you have learned during the pervious leeson.

Good luck

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'm in the middle of a 10 week plan. I get one lesson per week, and then practice the drills in between. You've got to burn the proper motions into your brain (muscle memory) and the only way to do that is through repetition. Lots of repetition. Good drills are the best way to do that.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Whats a common per hour price for lessons?

I am considering lessons once I get my swing smoothed out.

OmegaG5

Jul 29, 2006
See that's what I would think too, because you get to "practice what you learned" and then go next week and learn some more new things. Then I started talking to another guy who adviced me to think about bunching them together because that way bad habits won't get a chance to creep in, any thoughts on that?

The Pro will iron out the bad habits at the start of each session, and do a recap of last week's lesson. My advice would be to spread them out one per week, and then practice hard and diligently at least twice between each lesson, concentrating on what he taught you in the previous lesson. That way, you really do get your money's worth.

R.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will spread them out over the 6 weeks I have with 1 lesson a week. I am thinking about putting 5 full swing lessons in there once a week with 3 short game lessons once a week also. I'm a teacher and it is almost summer, so I will have so much free time to work on the golf game. =D

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Good to hear disko. Where you taking your lessons? Westwood?

We should get out and play sometime man, I got BC jr qualifying this weekend at Carnoustie... Hopefully the course isnt as bad as last time I played it.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Lol.. I love the Go Sens Go message =D
Definitely we should go out to play. As soon as I get back from China for my summer holidays. I'll be taking my lessons from westwood yes. They have a pretty nice deal out there.. 6 weeks of unlimited golf (range and 9 hole course) and 8 lessons for 600 dollars. Which is especially good because I will have so much time this summer to finally improve my game... maybe even break 90....

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I would spread the lessons out according to your practice abilities, if you are practicing a few times a week then you should wait at least two weeks for your next lesson. You have to give it some time to incorporate your changes or you are going to waste your money on repetitive work.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
yup it seems to be the consensus here... to spread the lessons over several weeks. Two weeks won't be possible since I have to fit 8 lessons into 6 weeks. I'm excited I hope these lessons help.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You've made the right choice Diskco. It takes weeks, usually months for the changes to really set in to your subconscious. Cramming them together will give you less benefit for the $$ you are spending.

Good luck and give us a diary of what you are being taught and how it is coming along...

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
as above, there will be too many swing thoughts in such a short space of time.. can be counter productive.. i usually dont see a coach for at least a month if he has taught me something new.. the coach even tells me to spend a month just working on the stuff he shows..

then when i come back, he corrects things that may have crept in, but in general, what he has taught sticks after that time, and its possible to then move onto something else without having to think about what i had previously learnt

🔥 Latest posts