• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Mag...ughh

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I dont know if this post is in the right section or not, but oh well. I just got my new issue of Golf Magazine today and must say that I am less than impressed. I used to think that this was the best mag, now not so much. It is all instruction this month, I know other months have more stories but it seems the direction of the Mag is heading towards ALL instruction. If i wanted to read instruction I would buy a book. I want stories etc... If it weren't for Feherty's column I would cancel my subscription.

Smokin

Oct 11, 2006
I'd like to see more equipment review with every day golfers testing. Plus more talk from the pros on their equipment.

Instruction is great but I'm with you on the over doing it.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'd like to see more equipment review with every day golfers testing. Plus more talk from the pros on their equipment.

Instruction is great but I'm with you on the over doing it.

Agreed, I wanna know what the pros carry in their bag. I want to know how many really carry hybrids.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I used to get one years ago that was all about the tour and "what's in their bag" etc etc. it was a weekly one and I really liked it. No "lessons" and equipment reviews but more on the players. I can't remember the title though. A lot like a "Sports Illustrated" of golf.

Jun 24, 2006
Golf Digest has a little equipment section at the back of the mag. They also have a 'whats in the bag' which features a new pro and his/her gear every month. they talk a little bit about what hey carry and other random things.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, how absurd, they figure instruction is more important than what to buy next! :)

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah, how absurd, they figure instruction is more important than what to buy next! :)

Hey I like instruction as much as the next guy, problem is that they contradict themselves, which is another story. And really what was the last tip you got from these mags that really improved your game? I want stories etc...the best I have read so far is Golfworld.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I actually liked the instruction in Golf Magazine for a while. Now I feel like I'm kind of beyond most of it. I was looking at it online last night for a while. A lot of the tips are just re-hashed stuff, things I already know. Some are also total crap that would ruin my ballstriking. I'll give them credit though, I've built a 10cap swing over the last 3years, primarily from Golf Magazine tips.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hey I like instruction as much as the next guy, problem is that they contradict themselves, which is another story. And really what was the last tip you got from these mags that really improved your game? I want stories etc...the best I have read so far is Golfworld.

Well, back when I began, a lot helped. Shoulder turns, watching your divots, hands, all of it.

Especially short game, I've added 2 or 3 shots to my bag from the magazines.

Now I'm with you, I absolutely love equipment review because I'm like WBL wanting new clubs, except I don't have money, but I walk away with more when I read instruction.

As Ezra said, at this point, I'm beyond most instruction, but that goes for equipment reviews too, I don't care how forgiving the new r7 irons are, I won't use them. Fun to read though.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online