• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Magazine Putting ball position

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Normally I talk advice from Golf Magazine (s) with a grain of salt. Each month they seem to contradict each other.

That said the comments by Mike Shannon Golf Magazine Dec 2008 page 87 on ball position with respect to putting ring true in my case. Too far back and I do not see the line clearly and miss right. Opposite for forward position. I get over the ball correctly and the line is crystal clear with predictable results.

I'm pondering is this the reason why I gravitate to plumber's bob type shafts. Along with keeping my hands ahead of the club face the plumber bob shaft gets me in the right alignment. :thumbs up:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Too far back you say? Makes me wonder since I've still been having trouble with the pesky 4 footers. I always seem to miss a couple per round, always to save a par.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd have to agree.

I gravitate towards plumbers necks more so because I set up better and put better.

But really, if you train yourself to set up like that each time, regardless of what putter your using.. Within reason, and no crazy bends or wild shaft set ups.. You should putt the same.

I've started using the SeeMore, more and I set up like I do with my white steel and it's coming back for me now.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'd have to agree.

I gravitate towards plumbers necks more so because I set up better and put better.

But really, if you train yourself to set up like that each time, regardless of what putter your using.. Within reason, and no crazy bends or wild shaft set ups.. You should putt the same.

I've started using the SeeMore, more and I set up like I do with my white steel and it's coming back for me now.

Yep I agree, with due diligence you can get in position for each style of putter.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
That is spot on for me too. The ball needs to be dead center on my buckle or I will push/pull as the case may be. I also need to press my hands forward just a bit as well, maybe a ball width.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Has to be dead center of my stance, if it's just a touch too far forward then I almost always miss just to the right.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm going to have to give this a shot. I know when you set it back in your stance, it helps if you've got the collar of fringe behind your ball.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I'm going to have to give this a shot. I know when you set it back in your stance, it helps if you've got the collar of fringe behind your ball.

Oh Lord help me, I'm agreeing with Jeff again. Ball forward in the stance for most putts, but centered if on the fringe. You get more power without more speed.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
The variable in the ball position is your dominate eye and to what degree it dominates. So one position does not necessarily mean it will work for another golfer. Mike Shannon (the PGA instructor and author) states the trick is determine your optimum position.

For me I have to look at the line with my right eye then swivel my head to the ball looking at it again with the right eye. Like Jack N. used to adrress ball. This done with the ball slightly ahead of center. Played 18 today and speed was the issue today (gentle rain). My putts were on the line as I visualized. Same for chips and pitches.:)

:) Matched my PB of 69 on my home course. A slope of perhaps 119 so not challenging shot making needed. Just consistant. Putts and short game were right there when I was aware of my dominant eye.:)

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.:laugh: Until tommorrow maybe.:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts