• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Outing from Hell

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
This is usually an enjoyable "scramble" with about 150 golfers spread in groups (shotgun start) over courses with 3 nines. Slow but not too bad.

Last night we had another big downpour. And this morning we had to delay it an hour while a big storm came through.

BUT... one of the nines was flooded out and this year there were 220 golfers!!! :shocked:

Now you probably get the picture. :( 3 or 4 groups of 4 guys (2 carts per group) PER HOLE. And the backups at the par 3's looked like the golf cart parking area by the clubhouse.

To say it took awhile to complete is an understatement... SEVEN HOURS and this is a scramble with everyone picking up and hitting from one spot..:real angry:

And after the storm went through this morning the sun came out and baked us. Lot's of beer was consumed and the golf skills seriously suffered but the steak dinner afterward was okay. :)

First tee, we're the first group off and they select me to hit the first drive in front of about 40 people... all watching. I absolutely crushed one straight down the middle as long as I am capable of hitting a golf ball. (It was the "longest drive" hole on that nine) and I was about 4 yards short of the winner. Maybe 260=275 yards somewhere in there. (400 yard par 4 and 130 yards in). Anyway, that was the highlight of my day and hit most of my drives pretty decent. I hit all the other clubs (including my putter) like dog shit. Maybe it was the long wait between shots? :(

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I never play good when I have to wait a long time between shots. Sorry to hear you had a round like that J. But like you said, at least they fed you well.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
That's too many people. Two foursomes per hole in a shotgun start (144) should be the max.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I play poorly enough at times that I wouldn't want the aggravation of waiting that long. Can't develop any rythym at that pace & if you do it's all gone by the time your next shot comes around.

Which course was this at?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
That's too many people. Two foursomes per hole in a shotgun start (144) should be the max.

Eracer

In all fairness to the golf course (Alpine Valley) and the sponser SME (Society of Mfg Engineers - MIlwauke Chapter), there was really nothing else to do. You can't play an underwater course and you can't cancel your biggest moneymaker of the year the day before or the same day.

They actually did a fantastic job to get this thing done. It was just the golfing gods playing a joke on us all. :)

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I might be able to make you feel better. I was just reminded of this yesterday, because we received an invitation to a charity tournament we played a few years ago out in Iowa. That was the worst day I ever spent golfing. I had never played in a charity event before, so I was surprised when it turned out to be a combination frat-party/biker picnic. I was expecting golf. They had a huge concert-type sound system setup at the clubhouse, pointing out at the course, so we could listen to heavy metal on about 13 or 14 holes. Voice communication was impossible on 1, 18 and a few other holes. Almost every person I saw was drunk. Not a little buzzed, drunk. As in clubs flying out of people's hands and just missing us as we pulled up to a tee. As in people hitting to our green from another hole, while we were on it, because they were lost.

The invite went directly into the recycling...

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Or a new set of irons maybe...................LOL. The important thing: Did you win any cool doorprizes?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The swing was off, the putting stroke was off so I don't dare mess with the bag based on this day... :D

And I didn't stay for the door prizes. Last year I think I won a can of Off or something. :(

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.