• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf set for beginners

Jonathank89

Apr 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the game and have been going to the driving range with my friend. I would like to buy a complete set of clubs. I have been doing some research and I think I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: Wilson Men's Ultra Package Golf Set or RAM Men's G-Force Golf Set.

I was told both of these are good for beginners. I am also looking for a reasonably affordable set. So I guess my question is, which set would be better? I'm looking for durability and consistency.

Thanks!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If you're going to buy a full set, which is a fairly good decision for a new player, get a set that has steel shafted irons. And "box set" with graphite shafts in the irons is bound to break on you. I witnessed a buddy of mine break three of them during his first driving range session. Shafts just snapped during normal swings. The steel shafts will not break like this... hopefully.

Between those two sets, chances are neither is better than the other in a measurable way. Frankly, they both might suck equally as well. If one of the sets has a hybrid-iron or two, I would lean toward that set.

The other thing you need to consider is how much you really like the game. If you enjoy it now and you want to get better, you might be better off investing in something of higher quality to begin with. You can get good quality used clubs, even a full set, for only a bit more than you'd spend on one of those box sets that you'd surely end up replacing.

Lots of options. Between those two sets, flip a coin or go with the one that has a hybrid 3 and 4 iron.

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
I too started playing just a year and a half ago. I started out with a box set from Kmart. Well needless to say I figured out real quick there was a reason they were so cheap. I suggest finding some good used name brand clubs on craigslist or ebay. I bought all my clubs of ebay and they are nice for the price. Between the two you are looking at I would go with the Wilson set though. They have been making good golf stuff for years. I looked at it once and considered buying it.

FYI- I see good full sets of used name brand clubs for sale reasonably priced on craigslist all the time. ;)

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I'm with Silver on this one. Better to get a GOOD set now than buying another set in a year.
Shit clubs are shit clubs and even if you could get better they will only hold you back.

Calloway and some others have used sets for sale that will save you a ton of money but you'll get decent clubs.
http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

Also, around here we have "Play it Again Sport's" that have a crap load of used clubs/sets for sale around $100 and less. Lots of top name brand stuff. Maybe you have a store in your area or something like it?

As soon as I get past this problem of dumping so much money into this junk truck I bought Im getting me a good set of clubs myself.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Another option is contact a local shop or golf course that sell equipment....then see if they have a pro there that can look at your swing.

Most likely they will and most likely have some used equipment they could recommend for you.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
i agree with Silver with regards to the graphite shaft - had those with my first set, lasted a couple months and then started snapping the head off the graphite - one after the other.

go for steel shaft.

🔥 Latest posts