• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf shop attitudes

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Couldn't you be compassionate, Lyle, and help your fellow man with his DIY regripping? All this PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT talk...

Anyway...

It sounds like the shop keeper the OP quoted was indeed a douche bag. If I was in that situation I would have sided with him, AND Lyle, but I would've said it more politely. As has been suggested- simply explaining, "our policy is selling installations, not products. We simply don't have enough on-hand stock to sell product without installation."

If it was actually a RETAILER, then I certainly DO question this policy... Even if you're not turning a profit on the grips, it's one more customer walking in there. It's another guy you're chatting to who might bring a friend in or have some work done in the future.

But you do have to understand that he's probably in a hole. He knows he can't compete with internet pricing- he doesn't have a warehouse, or big contracts, or a huge amount of capital to play around with.

His attitude is making his situation WORSE though, no doubt.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
We all know how internet posting blows things way out of proportion, IMO the seller probably wasn't a big of a douche as fisher said he was and fisher probably had more of an attitude than he says. You know, the two sides of the coin thing...

I work in customer service and CUSTOMERS ARE STUPID!!!! Cut this guy some slack. This is probably the 10th person for the day that has tried to lowball him or hassle him in some way. Give the guy another chance and if he's like this again, then you can diss him!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have a hard time believing I would ever go to any professional in any industry that makes a living by doing the work and expect to get a similar deal to someone that makes their living by selling parts.

Would seem like going to the local service station and expect them to sell me oil and a filter or maybe a alternator for the same price as maybe walmart or the local auto parts store simply because they did work on my transmission before. Go to the local service station and tell them because you are buy 5 quarts of oil instead of just 1 you expect them to cancel the markup and sell it to you for the same price as Walmart 30 miles away.

I'm betting 10 out of 10 are going to tell you to take a hike the heck on out to Walmart unless they are a good friend of yours. The reason Walmart can sell it cheaper is because their business allows them to get a deal buying in bulk and maintaining a high overhead.

Just like I am guessing you wont be getting fitted at Dicks or Golf Galaxy if you want to be fitted by some you trust to be a top notch professional in fitting.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Who knows who had the attitude, sometimes you tell the truth, and if the listener doesnt like it then you are being a jerk. Maybe the owner took the question as "Can you sell me this stuff at no profit to you?" and thought it was retarded to even suggest it.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
lets keep the bitching straight here.

according to the first post the place did sell just grips, but at $2.00/ea more than the big boxes.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Somehow this whole thread has gotten way off track. This is a retail shop, NOT A CUSTOM CLUB BUILDING SHOP!!!!! They sell grips retail and have a whole display of grips. I've even bought a couple of grips from them over the years. They just charge alot for them when compared with any other sources around here. I asked if they could do any better on 13 grips. There was no attitude by me.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah! And, last thing you'd want workin' in a golf shop is a gol-durned woman! The Golf Galaxy I frequent has a couple workin' there. Sure glad they've got some good male associates so I don't have to ask one of them ladies a question. Guess they do a good job refoldin' the clothes folks have tried on and at runnin' the cash register. :ugly25::ugly25:

Welcome back, Claire!!!! Sounds like you had a GREAT vacation!!!

I did, but now everyone who knows me is freaking out because I came back from Mexico and then caught a cold. I'm fine, really.

I was in Golfsmith the other week. Cleveland has a woman's line out this year called Bloom. The irons/wedges are just rebranded CG-14s, but there's a rumor around that they'll have them out in left-handed later this year.

I asked the clerk about it, and at first he kept insisting I was talking about Callaway clubs. Un, no dude--I really do know the difference. Eventually he found a 60* wedge, but I knew more about the product than he did.

The guy also didn't know that it doesn't matter which brand of soft spikes you buy; they'll all work in a Footjoy. Tool.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Claire - they just hired that kid because he looks sharp in a polo shirt. Once I was having a discussion about an Adams driver (9015?) at GG with my buddy. Employee who didn't know us (most of them do) asked if he could help, so I asked what the face angle was. I thought it was a little open, my buddy thought it was a square. The employee looked at the club and told us it was 9.5*. Um, thanks...

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
and the winner of the battle of the sexes is.....:emot-ange

Me!
awww.strangesports.com_images_content_134092.jpg

Don't worry--that's NOT me.

🔥 Latest posts