• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf shop attitudes

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I understand where Lyle is coming from here. It is a business owners right to not sell parts when that is the business he is in. The guy might have been having a bad day, or perhaps you were the 5th guy that day to comment on how his grips are 20% more than the chain store that buys 10,000 of each grip every year and probably gets them for half off that way.

That said, customer service is the area where the little guy needs to excel, because he cannot match the chain for price. I have no local golf stores that are not at least franchise's. I'm not sure how you could make it in the golf industry just selling equipment and fitting.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
In any retail business, and that's what this is, there are items with little to no margin and items you double your money on or more. There is an old saying in retail, "Its not how you sell, Its How You Buy".

Going back full circle to the reason for this thread its the smug arrogant attitude of these people that was the problem here. It was unnecessary and cost them a customer.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I can & have purchased grips from 4-5 places around here, hell even Wally World sells a few cheap ones. Personally if I got an attitude from someone over grips they would lose my future business as well. Don't want me to buy a set of irons, clothing, balls, etc? Fine by me, I will go down the street & get them from someone who isn't being a dick.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Maybe Fischer was putting out some attitude when he asked the guy if he could get a price break, and the guy responded back with his own attitude.

Kevin

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Nope. Didn't have an attitude after either. I walked around the store a couple more minutes digesting what had happened and trying to decide weather or not to just buy the grips or go elsewhere. I wanted the grips right then but after thinking about it I politely said have a nice day and left without buying anything.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I bought a driver last week at the only local golf shop here "Nevada Bobs", The service was absolutly terrible, I will drive the 2hrs to Golf Town next time I need to make a large purchase. The young kids working at Golf Town etc. are so much more friendly then some small golf shop owners I have delt with. The guy at Nevada Bobs actually didn't bother trying to sell me a grip when I said I wanted a different grip on my newly purshcased Tour Burner, he was actually a real dink about it, either way I'm still debating returning the driver later this week because of his poor attitude.

IMO Friendly service is the most important thing for repeat buisness, it might be just $5 in profit for a set of grips this time, but if you give friendly service to the people buying grips, they are a lot more likely to come back and buy clubs when they need them.

Really how long does it take to sell a guy a set of grips?... Just smile, go out back and grab some grips for the dude, and ring him in. Hopefully he will come back when he needs to buy clubs.

Fr. Chris.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I think from Lyle's point of view, he wants to provide a service from beginning to end and that will earn repeat business in itself, I am not saying putting a grip on is an exact science, but it helps that the guys doing it are well schooled in installation of a grip, I know it took me a little while to get the alignment thing down, but after that I can rattle a set off in a reasonable amount of time!.

In my golf shop my margins are worked in by cost price + V.A.T + tape used+ solution used + relative margin that keeps me competitive, I would never sell at a loss but at the same time I would not charge massive margins either, I would much rather fit the grips myself and save the customer the time and bother and mess.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I go thru at least two sets of grips a season. Changing grips is so easy a caveman could do it. I enjoy doing it for myself.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
You would be amazed how many i have seen that are mis aligned, bumpy etc... and when I ask who did them, they reply "me", that is not saying that people cannot do it by any means, I agree it is easy to do, once you have done a few.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
lyle....I dont think you are getting the point of the thread....

Its not the fact that they had a rule about not selling grips uninstalled, its about the attitude the shop owner gave a customer...

If he would have explained the policy to the costomer in a manner in which did not involve being a jackass he would have probably kept a customer, but by being a jerk to the customer he not only lost that customer but many other ones on referrals.\

I have a couple local shops to which i am very loyal. They are usually 5-10% more expensive than i can find online even with shipping, but i buy from them because they are great people to deal with and are nice to me. They give me advice even when i dont ask and are just generally good people. THAT is why i do business with them and not the big-box stores that treat me like just another sale.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
lyle....I dont think you are getting the point of the thread....

Its not the fact that they had a rule about not selling grips uninstalled, its about the attitude the shop owner gave a customer...

Quit throwing common sense into a keyboard war, what are you some kind of newby or something?:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Oh i get the point. Looking at his posts in this thread i would guess that he had an attitude and it was met with attitude. Just because he doesnt realize it doesnt mean it aint the case.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You want attitude in a golf shop?

Oh, never mind.

Yeah! And, last thing you'd want workin' in a golf shop is a gol-durned woman! The Golf Galaxy I frequent has a couple workin' there. Sure glad they've got some good male associates so I don't have to ask one of them ladies a question. Guess they do a good job refoldin' the clothes folks have tried on and at runnin' the cash register. :ugly25::ugly25:

Welcome back, Claire!!!! Sounds like you had a GREAT vacation!!!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Oh i get the point. Looking at his posts in this thread i would guess that he had an attitude and it was met with attitude. Just because he doesnt realize it doesnt mean it aint the case.

Guessing, :p

Honestly, the dude could've reserved his 'tude. I can imagine few circumstances where being a dick is justified, but maybe that's just my experience working in the selling industry at a golf shop and for my dad. Like it or not, your business exists because of the people around you, and a little appreciation and consideration goes a long way.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.