• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf simplified. If only that could be

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
done! Several times I have mentioned a book by John Jacobs entitled THE GOLF SWING SIMPLIFIED because I have found it to be the best book I have ever read when it comes to simplifying the golf swing.

I have mentioned the chapter on the "Geometry of Golf", and if you do not have the knowledge of that geometry, your game would improve vastly in a short time from just that part of the book.

One of the ideas that leads to the title of the book being what it is, is how to "stand to the club." If you get behind the ball and look down the target line, you will be able to (1) visualize the shot and (2) pick out an intermediate target that is on the target line a few feet in front of your ball. He will go over the "railroad track" idea of how to get lined up to the target line. Then there is this simple idea that if you line up the club-face square to the target line and allow the club to sit behing the ball naturally AS THE CLUB WAS DESIGNED to, you can simply stand to a so situated club and grip it, and you will be lined up. The ball will automatically be positioned where it should be in your stance. Your hands will be the right amount ahead of the ball, and you will actually be able to skip the railroad idea since you will be lined up with everything parallel to the target line. It can be that easy to accomplish all of these important fundamental tasks if you get good at "standing to the club." You will be closer to a wedge than you will be to a longer club automatically.

I am sure that someone is saying that the shaft is contorted during the swing, etc, etc, etc. All that may be true, but you will do quite well lining that clubface up square to the target line and sitting naturally on its sole so as to have the intended loft of the club. Start moving the grip around from this position, and you are on your own. You can do those things later on when you want to shape a shot. For now, I am talking about getting to the point where you can make consistently solid contact with accuracy.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I will be adding that to my list of books to read this winter, right after the book by Tom Wishon, or possibly before.

Sounds like something right down my alley for what I wish to accomplish this winter. I am somewhat convinced my predominant draw, and inability to hit a fade has become more of a setup issue. I have reached the point of setting up to account for more of a draw, as a matter of "Aim". In doing so it would logically seem that I am only setting myself up to draw the ball more as in the back of my mind the pin is still my target. Obviously if you want to hit a draw, you can do so by pulling your right foot back, it the same sense as if you want to hit the ball straight to the right. I need to reinvent my setup and aim over the off season, and try and seperate aim and setup. This book sounds like it may be a good place to start.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Sounds like one I need to check out too. I've started pull-hooking my irons lately. I do try to find a good close target to aim at, but I think I'm over manipulating the club with my grip and swing. I think I've also gotten too flat with my irons. Does this book address that part of the swing too?

OP
C

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
The book covers every aspect I can think of

concerning the golf swing. We all hear that even the greatest of golfers have to go back and polish their fundamentals. The fundamentals and much more are covered here.

When you know the geometry of golf and other things found in this book, you can fade or draw, slice or hook, with the same swing and making two simple adjustments in aim and grip. It is truly golf simplified. Simplified as much as this somewhat complicated game came be made.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I have had this book for several years and find myself returning to it frequently. It is a definate "must have" just for the ball flight laws if nothing else.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.