• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Stories???

tyragsdale

Sep 18, 2007
Hello,

My name is Tyler Ragsdale and I need your help! I'm collecting golf stories for an e-book and would be quite interested in hearing your golfing tales. Some questions to consider are:

How did you start playing golf?

What is the most absurd/bizarre thing you've ever seen on a golf course?

What is your lowest round of golf? (60's, 100's, no difference)

Hole-in-ones?

Any funny or inspiring stories are also welcome. If you're interested please e-mail me at [email protected] and include your name, age, and the city and state you call home. Also if you know of anyone else who might be interested in contributing feel free to give them the e-mail address above. All e-mails will be replied with my short story of how I started playing the wonderful game of golf at the age of 14. The authors of the stories I use will receive a FREE COPY of the E-Book via e-mail! Please limit them to only your own stories and by sending them you give me consent to publish them. Multiple stories are welcome and be as descriptive as possible. Also I will only be accepting stories until October 1st, 2007. I'm looking forward to reading your e-mails.

- Tyler

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Sure sounds like SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
T

tyragsdale

Sep 18, 2007
oh spam...

Tyler again...

I'm not trying to spam anyone. I'm collecting stories, that's it. If you submit a story you won't lose weight, get rich or become a better golfer.

I'm 23 years old, worked on a golf course when I was 15 and have been playing ever since. My lowest round is a 69 (don't know how it happened) and am lucky enough to have had a hole in one (or that).

If you don't want to share your story with me or anyone else I can certainly understand that but please don't consider my measly little forum post spam. Thanks...

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
How did you start playing golf?

A friend of mine whom I went to school with had started playing and so I took it upon myself to get kitted out with clubs, etc. I started playing on a 9-hole par-3 course just outside my home town with the guy that sat beside me at school. This same guy is now best buddy of PGA Tour player, Graeme McDowell.

What is the most absurd/bizarre thing you've ever seen on a golf course?

Standing on our 2nd tee and there were 2 fourballs already on the tee, another about 100 yards up the fairway, another on the green and 2 fourballs on the 3rd tee. Absolutely ridiculous and not a course rangeer on site, either !

I used to work in my Professional's Shop and each year we hose the Causeway Coast Tournament - the largest Ameteur Golf Tournament, worldwide.
I was standing having a breather at the front door of the shop when I noticed everyone standing on the 17th tee suddenly all jump down to the ground, seemingly as if someone playing down 16 had blocked their approach shot and therefore shouted a warning of "FORE !" To my amazement, noone was playing down the 16th hole. Very strange, I thought.
As it turned out, however, one of the group on the 17th tee had driven off, hit the ladie's tee box just a few yarda ahead of them and the ball had rebounded over or past everyone. The guy had to play his second shot almost from the club car park - about 35 yards behind the tee box. That is something I have never seen before and it caused some stir around the front of the clubhouse as people were struggling to find out what was going on :laugh:

What is your lowest round of golf? (60's, 100's, no difference)

Off our back tees - just short of 7000 yards, I shot 69, net 66 to get down to 2 handicap for the first ever time. I had 8 pars and a birdie on the front nine and then had 4 successive birdies at 12, 13, 14 & 15, hitting some truely awesome iron shots right down the pipe :D
Took a double bogey at 16 through having to wait on the tee for a good few minutes and through a poorly misjudged approach shot. Steadied myself on two intimidating finishing holes with a superb 4-iron to 17 and a left edge 3 foot putt on the last to ensure that I broke 70 off the back sticks for the first ever time..:)

Hole-in-ones?

Had one a short time after starting the game in 1995. I still have the ball encased in the trophey that my father bought me in my room in my house :)

OP
T

tyragsdale

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks Andy_79...the stories were awesome! Here's one of mine:

When I was 14 years old, bored on a sunny summer day, I decided to go golf ball hunting with a friend on a nearby golf course in Port Townsend, WA. We put on our oldest clothes and a backpack expecting to search heavy forest, bushes, mud and swampy terrain. Our goal was to find 100 golf balls which seemed very ambitious at the time. Once we arrived at the course we ran through fairway after fairway waving to the golfers with puzzled looks on their faces. We found the perfect location. A lengthy par 4, dogleg right, with thick forest, lots of thorny bushes and stinging nettle. Without hesitation I put my arms up in front of my face and ran in to the heart of it. Instantly there were little white pebbles littered on the ground. "Got one!" was exclaimed over and over for the first hour of searching creating more and more excitement. Pretty soon we were franticly jumping, lunging and army crawling to get the hard to find balls. As our bags began to fill it just made us more eager to continue with the hunt. Some fell directly in front of me as I was searching! After exploring other holes we eventually filled both of our backpacks FULL of golf balls. I remember not noticing the weight of the bag because my adreniline was so high throughout the day. As soon as we exited the woods onto the fairway we were greeted by two gentlemen who asked what we had in the bags. BUSTED! We told him they were golf balls and to our surprise his next question was "Can I buy some off ya?" The answer was of course "Sure!" and quickly unzipped the bags to let him search through the merchandise. They each bought about 10 golf balls for a dollar a piece which left us with two very full bags and 20 bucks. We went straight to the pro shop (left the bags of balls outside) and bought a used 2 iron and a bucket of range balls. Not knowing a 2 iron is quite possibly one of the hardest clubs to hit we sent the striped, dimpled spheres in every conceivable direction. After the range balls were gone and we walked home and counted how many we had found. There were 407 golf balls.

I later went on to get a job at the same course (I spent all my time there, they had no choice) and lost my share of those golf balls right back where I found them.

Thanks again for the story...

-Tyler

🔥 Latest posts