• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf strategy

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
I've read about how people should play a golf hole from tee to green, but I really don't understand it all too well. I also don't understand golf strategy all to well either, as in which club should I hit and why. Could some people give me some examples of how they would play this hole?

Your Source for Exceptional Golf (click on this link)

I know everyone would play it differently depending on their skill level for each club. But I just want to get an idea of the thought process behind each shot selection. And how you take into account for mistakes.

I'm tired of just standing behind the ball, taking the club that will get me the furthest, and whacking away at it. But I don't know how to think otherwise.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
From the White Tees calm wind, I would probably take my driver down the right side of the fairway as I probably would not reach the water on the right as my average drive is shorter than 268 and I could get into a shorter iron for the approach. If there was a tailwind, I would consider my 4-Wood down the left side as it looks to be the preferred side of the fairway to be on for an approach to the green and I probably could not reach the water with my 4W. If there was a head wind, I would probably take the driver down the left side for same reasons.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Hey Ualtim .. sorry for the slight threadjack .. but posted this yesterday and it got lost in the crash ... how wouldya play Crooked Cat ? .. we've a 3 day stopover on our way back fromm Naples and have booked a teetime based on reviews here and elsewhere ... Ta .. apologies again for slight threadjack :D

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Hey Ualtim .. sorry for the slight threadjack .. but posted this yesterday and it got lost in the crash ... how wouldya play Crooked Cat ? .. we've a 3 day stopover on our way back fromm Naples and have booked a teetime based on reviews here and elsewhere ... Ta .. apologies again for slight threadjack :D

The way I played Crooked Cat last time, you may wish to talk to Eracer on his strategy. :laugh:

I have only been on the Cat once, but I found it to be fairly forgiving for the most part. I was able to hit driver on most if not all of the Par 4's and 5's without a lot of worry (other than my inability to hit it straight that day), the Cat will get you if you do not have a short game. Some fairly large greens out there that are well maintained and fast. Its not about hitting greens, its about hitting the correct part of the green if you want to score (or the wrong part of the green if you want a high score like me.)

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
The way I played Crooked Cat last time, you may wish to talk to Eracer on his strategy. :laugh:

I have only been on the Cat once, but I found it to be fairly forgiving for the most part. I was able to hit driver on most if not all of the Par 4's and 5's without a lot of worry (other than my inability to hit it straight that day), the Cat will get you if you do not have a short game. Some fairly large greens out there that are well maintained and fast. Its not about hitting greens, its about hitting the correct part of the green if you want to score (or the wrong part of the green if you want a high score.)

*gulp* ... yeah hadda feeling that was coming ..cheers for taking the time

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
From the White Tees calm wind, I would probably take my driver down the right side of the fairway as I probably would not reach the water on the right as my average drive is shorter than 268 and I could get into a shorter iron for the approach. If there was a tailwind, I would consider my 4-Wood down the left side as it looks to be the preferred side of the fairway to be on for an approach to the green and I probably could not reach the water with my 4W. If there was a head wind, I would probably take the driver down the left side for same reasons.
My logic would be almost identical for the same reasons. Although for me, if there is a head wind I would likely take 7w off the tee, because at 394 yards into the wind it would be unlikely I would get on that green in two, nor would I even try with water to either side in front of the green with such a narrow gap (looks much narrower if you watch the heliflyover). So into the wind I would take 7w, then lay up to the widest part of the fairway between 105 and 75 to assure I am on in 3 and putting for par.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My golf strategy...(PaintskillzFTW)

Simple as dat my friend.
golfstrategy.jpg

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Why overcomplicate? Hit something manageable to the center of the fairway, probably my 5W, and then drop it like its hot on the green. If you aren't comfortable, take a wedge to the left and have a chip on.

Drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Why overcomplicate? Hit something manageable to the center of the fairway, probably my 5W, and then drop it like its hot on the green. If you aren't comfortable, take a wedge to the left and have a chip on.

How far does your 5W go though? My 5W would take me right into the fairway bunkers if I missed.

To be honest, I never consider wind. I'm not that great of a player, so my only concern is getting it out there. But I'd like to start thinking differently.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Blue tees=418.

My current 5W would put me about....160 out, could be less if I miss it. That leaves me with a good niner in, but out of danger for most water shots. Say I shank it and put her well short...wedge up close and wedge on. Nothing wrong with a bogey, with a chance at par, to be smart.

Wind is a non-factor here, because it will change nearly every strategy depending on which way it is blowing. Just have to react accordingly.

That is my golf philosophy, use basic and smart principles, but leave yourself the versatility to deal with adversity that arises.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country

For those of us who do not have the distance, course strategy will save us a lot of strokes. My ability to hit a green goes down significantly once I get about 160 yards or so from the green and further away. Goal #1, get it safely into the fairway; Goal #2, get the ball to a location that will allow me to hit a 100-150 yard approach shot into the green; Goal #3, get the ball to a location so that the next shot will cross the least amount of danger if hit left or right of intended line of shot; Goal #4, get the ball to a location that will cross the least amount of danger if I mishit and come up short.

Know your strengths, know your weaknesses. It took me a lot longer to write that out than it did to think about how to play the hole, it becomes a very natural though process the more you use it.

From my original strategy, if I hit my driver down the right side and came up really short and/or in the rough I am very unlikely to shoot for the green on my second shot as the percentages of me being able to pull off that shot are not good. If I ended up short and in the left rough, I may give it a go toward the front left side of the green as my margin for error is far greater than from the right side.

Know your strengths, know your weaknesses.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Sadly, as much as I hate making this too complicated, Tim is right. If you want to score, you have to assess your situation.

You want to know a decent strategy?

What's your distance?
What's your comfortable distance?
What score do you need here?
If you've played here before, is this a scoring hole or a possible bad hole?
What approach do you want?
What score do you want?
Is that water going to unnerve you?
How's the wind?
How's your swing?

This is just the beginning too.

OP
DisKoDucK

DisKoDucK

Jan 24, 2007
Blue tees=418.

My current 5W would put me about....160 out, could be less if I miss it. That leaves me with a good niner in, but out of danger for most water shots. Say I shank it and put her well short...wedge up close and wedge on. Nothing wrong with a bogey, with a chance at par, to be smart.

Wind is a non-factor here, because it will change nearly every strategy depending on which way it is blowing. Just have to react accordingly.

That is my golf philosophy, use basic and smart principles, but leave yourself the versatility to deal with adversity that arises.

So, what do you think would be a not basic and smart principle? Over thinking?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
So, what do you think would be a not basic and smart principle? Over thinking?

Well, assess the situation but don't get too complicated. Also, whatever you choose, commit to that shot beforehand 1000000000%%%%%%%, doubt in the swing makes for bad shots.

As in my previous post, what distances can you manage? Manage comfortably?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online