• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf survey

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
You could go generic on everything if you want.......just make sure of one thing.......your generic irons and driver must have shafts of reasonable quality. Get steele shafts in the irons....forget cheap irons with cheap graphite shafts. If you buy a bargain driver make sure it has a half decent shaft. Unless you are trying to break 80 the ball and putter are completely irrelivant.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I think the only important one is your ball.Reasons why for the rest are as follows. Driver- who is really any good with one anyway? Irons-If you play forged irons anyway, any piece of metal would likely do,Seriously?expanding the sweet spot on a full blade iron? dont piss in my ear and tell me its raining.Wedges-Ive seen alot of knockoff brands or little known brands with what seem to be an excellent looking and feeling club.Putter- I honestly believe if you blindfolded an avid scotty user and asked them to pick it out of 5 walmart specials, they wouldnt be able to.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Driver
Wedges
Irons
Ball
Putter

Good driver play puts the wedges in my hands.

Kevin

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I think the only important one is your ball.Reasons why for the rest are as follows. Driver- who is really any good with one anyway? Irons-If you play forged irons anyway, any piece of metal would likely do,Seriously?expanding the sweet spot on a full blade iron? dont piss in my ear and tell me its raining.Wedges-Ive seen alot of knockoff brands or little known brands with what seem to be an excellent looking and feeling club.Putter- I honestly believe if you blindfolded an avid scotty user and asked them to pick it out of 5 walmart specials, they wouldnt be able to.
:laugh:
All just a matter of opinion, but many that I play with and myself included would disagree. The majority with whom I play are consistent with their driver, although the reason it is at the bottom of my list is I am also consistent with my FW's and they are not much shorter, so giving up a few yards for a little more consistency is usually a determination I have to make on any narrow hole, but most courses do not concern me. On irons, it is not the metal to me, but the design, offset and feel that I evaluate before forgiveness. My irons were always the weakest part of my game until I got my current ones, but they are second to last on my list because I learned to live with them.

Now Wedges are all about design and functionality as well as specific lofts. If you gave me a generic LW with 20* bounce and a SW or GW with 6* bounce, my game would be in the toilet and the reason it was 3rd on my list next to Ball and Putter. On the putter, it is not about cost. I didn't buy many expensive putters because they did not have the specific soft insert I wanted, and the design that I need for it to feel right. If you put a heel mounted SC with no soft insert in my hands and blindfold me, I guarantee I will notice the difference and I would suffer terrible and my speed would suck. Actually, I would be able to hear the difference, and it would annoy me. On the flip slide, I would bargain to guess if you put my White Hot insert in a $15 walmart putter that is face balanced, and I would be able to adapt and still put well and much better than with the $300 SC.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Ball.
Driver.
Putter.
Wedges.
Irons.

or

Ball.
Driver.
Wedges.
Putter.
Irons.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I guess when you say Generic, you mean cheap?

if so, I would say IRONS

Right now I'm using Dunlop Goliath Irons, and I hit them better than the more expensive irons I've had in the past.

I'm not giving up my Nike Sumo Driver.....my game has gotten allot better since I bought one over a year ago.

Ball....well, I dont use a real expensive ball anyways...Pinnicale Gold or D2's

I use a Pinemeadow Golf putter, and really like it too.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.