• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf survey

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
If you had to play with generic equipment except for one of the items below. Which would you take?
1. Driver
2. irons
3. wedges
4. putter
5. ball

go ahead and rank the order of importance to you.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
1. Driver
2. Ball
3. Wedges
4. Irons
5. Putter

I think the Driver seems to make more difference than other pieces. I played some generic Affinity irons for some years and haven't seen a big difference. Putter, as discussed a thousand time here, depend in what you like, and some can play a $10 putter better than a SC, so....

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
If you had to play with generic equipment except for one of the items below. Which would you take?
2. Driver
3. irons
3. wedges
3. putter
1. ball

A ball's performance and consistency is the starting point for me. Generic ball???? How many quality ones out there?

The Driver is the second most important. There is some garbage out there. Many companies produce great irons, wedges and putters.

My collection of golf clubs reflect these choices.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Ball
Driver
Irons, Wedges (too similar for me to rank one over the other. i.e. use them for the exact same purpose.)
Putter

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Ranked in order of importance...
1. Putter... Used for 30% +/- of your strokes. MUST work!!
2. Wedges... Most of us don't register in the upper 80 percentile in GIR's. Chipping it close is paramout to scoring.
3. Irons... Of course, we do need repeatability and consistency.
4. Ball... Our course has smaller, postage stamp greens. Top Rocks are NOT the ball to play if you want to keep it on the green.
5. Driver... IMHO many would be better served teeing off with a 5-iron than a driver, anyway!!!! Probably seen the most technological advancements in the past 5 years in drivers and driver shafts... but, many still struggle.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
1. Putter
2. Ball
3. Wedges
4. Irons
5. Driver

I may hit a driver 4 or 5 times a round so it really isn't that important to me. My putter is finally working for me and thus I will kill anyone who comes near it. Then the performance of a ball is much more important than the clubs you hit, you can put spin on a ProV1 with any old wedge. Just my thoughts.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
1. Ball
2. Putter
3. Wedges
4. Fairway Wood
5. Hybrid

6. Irons
7. Driver

Ball is kinda questionable, if I knew it to be a reasonable ball, it would be last on my list, or possibly above only my driver. I already bargain shop on golf balls. If it was something like a Nitro, Flying Lady or the old Top Rocks it would be first. I could deal with any reasonable ball though. Also my Fairway Woods and Hybrid are above Irons and Driver.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
1. Ball, I've in the last year learned to put backspin on the ball, need a decent ball.
2. Putter, you can have my Scotty when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.
3. Wedges, see number 1, They have to have decent grooves.
4. Irons, Pretty much the same reason as #3
5. Driver, as much as it pains me to say it, I can't hit any driver that consistently and would probably score better without one.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
1. Putter - Used more than any other club and its complete 'feel' i need to have the one i am used to using
2. wedges - GIR is not my strong point, so getting up and down is top priority
3. Ball - I can get used to a different ball every round and it wont cost me too many strokes
4. Irons - Meh...not nearly as important to me as the top 3
5. Driver - as people have mentioned i could probably score better without one

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
IMHO it only matters what you're used to, not what brand it is. That even goes for balls, although I agree there's almost no generic balls available.

I'm betting that with quality generic equipment, my game would change very little.

Of course, I suck, so...

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
1. Driver
2. irons
3. wedges
4. putter
5. ball

Ball(what makes my game)
Putter(as long as it works)
Wedges(replace yearly)
Driver(7 years old)
Irons(6 years old)

🔥 Latest posts