• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

golf swing is going bad

nesouthpaw

Apr 10, 2009
Good morning fellow golfers... Would someone be kind enough to offer a possible solution to a problem that has crept into my golf swing three weeks ago and is driving me crazy! First, I am a high handicap golfer who takes occasional lessons and I am left-handed. Here is the problem, When I swing from the tee box I am producing a shot that I describe as a low screaming pull hook ( if such a shot can be so aptly named ). Being left handed the ball heads immediately to the right off the tee and into the woods.( on a very low trajectory and very fast to the right about six feet off the ground ) I am trying to correct this but I am not sure what to call this shot so I can find the right solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am off to work and will get back on later to check any replies. Many thanks!

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I guess the technical term is Your swing is out of wack.

I'm a high handicapper myself who on occasion hit those low flying balls. I have a momentus and it helps me smooth out my swing when that happens.

Make sure you are not lifting your head and don't rush your downswing.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm probably the last person to offer advice off the tee box. But it sounds like your hands are getting to far ahead, as in your swinging more with your arms, and not rotating your lower body with the arms and hands lagging behind.

kasch

Apr 23, 2009
Firstly, check you grip. You want your right hand to form a V pointing over your shoulder. In most cases, people who "snap hook" the ball have a grip in which the right hand has rotated around to the bottom of the grip, which makes it turn over violently in the downswing.

Your next option is to check your takeaway and position at the top. Simply grip the club as usual, swing to the top and stop. Then bring ur hands and the club back directly infront of you without moving your grip. You should see if the club face is open/closed or square.

The next possible cause is bad swing path, however i highly doubt such a bad snap hook would be cause by swinging in to out. Anyway, get infront of a mirror or glass window and swing to the top, watcing your takeaway doesn't come too far inside. On the range, stick a shaft into the ground behind you on the ideal plane and hit balls along the plane of the shaft.

I know this wont make much sense when you read it so if you need something clarified just ask :). If you are really struggling, just go see your pro.

Members online

No members online now.