• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Torture

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
On occasion have had the fourth back out of our sunday foursome and been replaced by someone or anothers friend who is a ... well we are all hackers but a few of these guys would have to practice real hard to become duffers. Found the key to problem is to play lauderdale. Usually whoever brings the friend gets stuck with him for a partner, but either way he still gets to be part of the game and picking up his dubbed shots keeps it moving. And the other two can see how well they can score together.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
.........He claimed he used to shoot about 90 or so, "before his second divorce"....

Howya Bravo , sheesh can you imagine how good John Daly woulda been if hadda stopped at 2 marriages......

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
So many great posts in this thread. What can I add?

I played once as a single, and was paired with a 90yo man who could barely walk. I mean, he had the Parkinson's shuffle. But he rode nine holes with me. On the first tee I thought to myself "this is going to be a real pain..." Well, this guy hit his drives 100 yards down the middle, hit his second shot 100 yards down the middle and so on. After every shot he would ask "did you see that where that one went?" And every time I told him "yes sir, right down the middle". He ended up shooting 92.

I really enjoyed his company.

I'm more concerned with how someone "plays the game" than how "well they play the game". By that I mean: do they understand pace and etiquette? Different players have different abilities. I do think that golf courses need to control access (at least to the tee boxes). Too often we see hackers (usually big, rugged men) teeing off from the back tees, lumbering up to the 250yd. marker, waiting for the group ahead to clear the tee, then hitting their 3-wood about 100 yards with (another) big slice. My patience is tested.

On the other hand, a player of my skill level probably shouldn't be playing a course like Whistling Straights when we're not having a good day. I did play there though, and concentrated on keeping up, despite a real lack of quality shots on that particular day. I'm sure it was frustrating for the better players in our group.

It is well known that most players play better when they are paired with people of slightly more talent, on a course where they are comfortable. But, unless we belong to a private club that won't pair us with anyone not of our choosing, then it's just a fact of life that we, as recreational players, must deal with. One way or another.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
oooo yeah do i know this feeling!!!

Ok so it was last tuesday and its my schools golf team's first round of 9 holes. SOMEHOW i get stuck in the last group with a fat kid, an ok kid, and a girl.

The fat kid couldnt hit strait for his life, and the girl took about 3 practice swings..and then another 5 swings to even make contact with the ball...when she did..it went about 5 feet..............backwards.

by the second hole the group ahead of us was like 3 holes ahead. I was SO tempted just to finish the hole and just start playing by myself. So we started at like 3:30 and finish IN THE DARK...i couldnt hardly even see my ball on 9th. LUCKILY i played semi-decent somehow under all that anger..and shot a 52, which was good enough to get me in the second group:) the top 8 just cruises through that course like a hot knife on warm butter....its nice:)

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
What's worse is when they have no clue about the common courtesy of the game. Moving around behind you while you're putting, talking while you're hitting etc...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Howya Bravo , sheesh can you imagine how good John Daly woulda been if hadda stopped at 2 marriages......

Hi Dave!! Glad to hear from you....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.