• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Trip

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Sorry, it is Torrey Pines he used to work at. Haha, sorry. Where is that place, Paul lad ? :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Gah, those courses look so different from here.

It really is a different game. I came away with great respect for golfers who can play well on these seaside links courses. The wind, the unpredictable bounces, and the shotmaking ability that is required are pretty awesome. The golf I play here in Florida is basically "one shot, one club", and by that I mean most shots have only one good club choice. In Scotland, many shots can be played with a number of different clubs. For example, when faced with a 100 yard approach, you might use anything from a 7-iron to a sand wedge, to a hybrid.

I highly recommend the journey for any golfer. Start saving your money and pray that the exchange rate gets better.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
The wind, the unpredictable bounces, and the shotmaking ability that is required are pretty awesome. The golf I play here in Florida is basically "one shot, one club", and by that I mean most shots have only one good club choice.

I can recall many times standing on our par 3 3rd when caddying for guys from the States and me coming out with something like "Its 197 to the flag, but I'd play a 155 club." They would look at you as if you had ten heads and question you because of the seemingly stupidity of what I had stated to them. Plus, it is early in the round and they haven't learned to trust you completely either as you perhaps haven't had to give exact lines on greens, etc.

As Eracer says, there is such a wide range of ways you can play shots. Hit them high to spin hard, shorter and lower to catch firm approach areas and release to the flag; there is a lot to learn, but it is top quality. There are lots of factors you have got to take into consideration like you maybe wouldn't have to in the U.S. such as the lie of the ball, the type of terrain you are hitting off, the wind speed, the wind direction, the firmness of the ground in the intended landing area, etc.

For example, when faced with a 100 yard approach, you might use anything from a 7-iron to a sand wedge, to a hybrid is a perfect example of golf round our area. Is a whole new ball-game and many Americans I have met when playing our course tell me they are just getting use to playing these shots and think it is wonderful trying to execute them !

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I can't quite believe I am reading this: A Celtic man stating that the Gers are the best in Scotland ?! **Rubs eyes vigoursly**

:eek: :shocked: :)

I have £50 on Rangers, Barca and Man U. to win each of their respective league titles this year. I reckon good chance the Gunners are gonna rob me of my £412, dude. Gonna be real tight, but you're looking real good at the minute. And that is without Henry ! You have some truely amazing players. Wenger is nothing short of sensational in the transfer market !!!

Not THAT serious a fan that I get caught up in the rivalry. :laugh:

Actually there's not that much to split them, although Celtic probably have just got an edge, so I will retract my original statement and say Rangers are Scotland's second finest.

It will be an amazing title race in the EPL this year, hopefully we can hold on for it, although I don't want to see you miss out on that much money :laugh:.

Wenger is an absolute genius. Didn't make any purchases he considered unnecessary. In fact, I believe he only spent 1/4 of his budget but Diarra on the final day may have changed that. And they are still top of the table. Great to watch anyway.

P.S. Have an awesome trip, nearly forgot thats the whole point of this thread. :)

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
The SPL has come on leaps and bounds with both Rangers and Celtic achieving amazing results in the Champions League that noone could have predicted. Thee rest of the teams are definately getting stronger and are tough opposition to play against no matter what club side you are.

The Premiership is gonna be class. United are starting to show some superb form and the fact that they aren't leaking ANY goals causes me to think that it is going to be very, very close.

Arsenal are far and away the side of years ago when everyone called them "Boring, boring Arsenal." They conceded two very soft goals yesterday, unlike the halcyon days when Adams, Keown, Dixon & Winterburn made up the back four and were supremely difficult to break down. Now they're not as good defensively, but far, far from the 'boring' tag they used to get labelled with. They're an absolute joy to watch...and that is without Henry who I was mightily pi$$ed off at for leaving the Premiership.
It's shaping up to be a stormer....:) :)

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Oh, is Diarra #2 ? Big lanky black guy ? What position is he ? Have only just noticed him; it is so tough to keep up with those Arsenal players these days as you don't hear anything about the transfers 'cos they aren't big £12 million or more signings....!!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Is a whole new ball-game and many Americans I have met when playing our course tell me they are just getting use to playing these shots and think it is wonderful trying to execute them !

It was great fun. I loved the idea of being able to hit a 100 yard 8-iron chip shot, and seeing the ball go where it should. I had a hard time with all the blind shots on some of the courses. Many times I would hit a shot over the marker, on what looked to be a good line down the middle of the fairway, only to see nothing but grass once I went over the hill. I guess that's the penance one pays for being too cheap to hire a caddie.:laugh:

I believe that links golf is truly meant to be played with perhaps five or six clubs and a putter. Lighten the load, and free the mind.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Sorry, it is Torrey Pines he used to work at. Haha, sorry. Where is that place, Paul lad ? :)

North Lincolnshire not far from scun-thorpe. It's been described as the woburn of the north. It's only about 15 years old but it was built into the forest so the fairways are lined by 60-80ft mature trees. The website is crap as it's more about there hotel chain so no pics until I go play it and I will use a decent camera for once.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Oh, is Diarra #2 ? Big lanky black guy ? What position is he ?

No thats Abou Diaby. Diarra is a similar build, not quite as tall, but plays more as a defensive midfielder and right back. We stole him from Chelsea for a song.

You're right, I was very dissapointed with the defense to let in those two goals. Should have also been 3-0 with Diaby's disallowed goal so this match got a lot closer than should have been. But certainly not the defense of the 90's with Adams leading the charge.

As for Henry, I know exactly what you mean. For Wenger to build him up from a no-name winger to one of the greatest strikers in the world and then turn his back on Arsenal and the EPL that had given him so much was :horse:. Kinda hope Arsenal win the title or Champions League and Barca get nothing just to show him what he left behind.

🔥 Latest posts