• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfer's Elbow?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've got it. Anyone else have problems with this? I've had it for a few weeks and haven't swung in a week now. Still sore and there is lump on my elbow, inside. I did some reading up on it and I'm a little worried I've got scar tissue now. I picked up a support that goes below the elbow and have been wearing it to work. Also putting the elbow on ice every evening. I'm going to wait a little longer I guess to hit balls again. I'm convinced that stupid armband contributed. Don't use one if you were thinking about it. I know I recommended it a few times but I think it was locking my elbow into an unnatural position. I'd go to a doctor but don't have health insurance. Right now I'm 99% sure they'd just say ice it and lay off the golf for a while, perscription anti-inflammatory at most. Not worth the god knows how much that would cost to be told that.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Ez

When I was playing in college, I would get it in my left elbow and there isn't really much you can do once you irritated it. I would get cortisone shots so I could play, but beyond that it is just what you are able to deal with in terms of pain. Once it starts feeling better, if you start exercising it, you should be able to eliminate a chronic problem.

Check out this site this is pretty much what the PT had me doing. It seems to really help me if I do this for about a month at the beginning of the season.

Golfer's Elbow Rehabilitation, UPMC Sports Medicine, UPMC | University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA USA

Hope it starts feeling better.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Jeff - right elbow inside. That's how I know. Looked it up on several sites online, consistant with all. Worried the lump is scar tissue though.

Pingzing- Thanks for the info. Pain is not so much an issue as I'm worried about doing damage. Painwise it's little more than an annoyance. I've got a little irritation in the outer left but not like the right. I just don't want to end up really screwing something up and needing surgery. I work as a furniture mover and no health insurance, that would not be good.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
10 years strong here.

Hurts like hell pretty much all summer long. Get a good (tennis) golf elbow support and wear whenever you hit balls and play as it will help a lot. The lump is most likely scar tissue. I got a lot of that as well. I dig my thumb nail into it for about 10 minutes a night while I watch TV. It hurts like mofo but helps break it up.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks Lyle. That makes me feel better. I got one of those braces that goes on the forearm and have been wearing it to work. Like I said, pain is not that bad, just don't want to end up with something tearing or some crap.

I'll probably not be doing a lot more swingwork. What I got now is going to be the swing for a while. On a good note, I wore a wrap last round and was killing everything. I'm talking hitting green on a hole listed 180 with 8i and from 202 in the fairway with draw 6i. Drives were good as well, nice little draw and deep as ever. I swear the wrap and a little pain has me swinging more controlled and using the lower body for more power.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
As far as the lump, I would get it also about the size of a nickle/quarter about an inch up my forearm. I was told it was fairly common and was from irritating the tendon. And if you played after it started hurting it will only irritate more. Being a furniture mover it may take longer to let it heal because of the constant use of your arms. Take it as easy as you can and you shouldn't have any long term problem from this.

I now its easy for me to say, but try not to worry about it too much.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Lyle

Have you tried any exercises. I fought it for 2 year and when I finally saw the PT, it was the best thing I ever did.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Lyle

Have you tried any exercises. I fought it for 2 year and when I finally saw the PT, it was the best thing I ever did.

Between work and golf I use that arm extensively for about 14 hours a day. Its beyond exercise. One of my golf buddies is a sports PT, and he told me I will be seeing a knife in a few years.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
There is nothing worst than the internet for reading info about someone's health. You can't imagine the amount of crap you can read in even respected sites.

Ok, here is your medical advice for free hehehehe;)

The lump most probably would be caused my subcutaneous tissue inflammation, not scared tissue I can assure you that. What you should do in a couple of easy steps:

1. Take the anti-inflammatory of your choice by schedule. One option can be Ibuprofen 400mg/8h, or Naproxen 250mg/8h for AT LEAST THREE CONSECUTIVE DAYS. It doesn't matter if it hurts or not since the target is rather the inflammation.

2. Don't just use ice pads. Alternate between a cold and a hot source every 20 minutes. For example, use ice pad for 20 minutes, then one of those rubber water bags or a hot towel for another 20 minutes and repeat twice or three times if you have the time (and the patience hehehe).

3. Stretch before and after every physical activity. Stretching your biceps will cause a stretch in the tendons directing to your inner "elbow", which would relief and prevent he epicondilitis.

If you have any further doubt or you would like some further info, feel free to ask again. I know taking medical advise from a "stranger" is a little odd, so feel free to PM me if you want my credentials;).

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went to hit a bucket of balls today, playing tomorrow. Elbow is sore but not all that bad. I seem to be finding it easy to hit the high cut again. Playing tomorrow. Might try to hit a few cuts and see how they go.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.