• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golflogix GPS

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have found mine to be dead nuts on so far & it's been used on 7-8 courses so far. Weirdest thing I saw was playing with Sssmokin & WBL at Waushara a few weeks back, we both have the same Golflogix unit but his was consistently reading much higher yardages. Neither of us had an answer for why it would that. One of the par 3 holes is something like 130 yds & my gps was reading it in the upper 120's while Sssmokins which we held right next to mine was claiming over 150 yards.

I used 9 iron & dropped it on the green as did Sssmokin so that 150 claim was way off.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
sssmokin played his shot (don't think it was a nine iron) for 150 that day and put it on so who's is wrong? :) We used his this weekend and it was dead nuts on. Otherwise we would have been consistently over the green....

Maybe they "adust" for the golfer... :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Evil Elf - your post explains exactly why I haven't invested in a GPS unit, and probably won't - at least not in the near future.

What is the real purpose in using a measuring device? To get an accurate distance for your next shot.

The laser in my rangefinder is accurate. Always. As long as I can see my target, I can measure the distance to that target.

The GPS units rely on external input to quantify their accuracy. As you pointed out, the mapping is the thing.

Sure, GPS units can do some things that a laser can't. They can more easily tell you your shot distance. They can tell you yardages on blind shots (assuming accurate mapping.) But they can't tell you exact yardages when you don't know where a pin is on a green (front, middle, back.) I've played in a foursome with a guy who had a GPS that was mapped accurately, and on several greens he had no idea what the true yardage to the flag was, because he couldn't tell where the flag was on the green. I simply lasered the flag, and got an accurate reading.

I'll stick to my laser. For now...

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
sssmokin played his shot (don't think it was a nine iron) for 150 that day and put it on so who's is wrong? :) We used his this weekend and it was dead nuts on. Otherwise we would have been consistently over the green....

Maybe they "adust" for the golfer... :D

Nope, he agreed with me & changed clubs & played it for the shorter yardage. Believe me there is no way in hell I am hitting a 9 iron 150+ yards, 130-135 & that's it.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Check the GPS against a range finder. As long as the object shot is reflective the laser is accurate to 1 yard. I use mine to shoot the length for installation of irrigation system. That's trusting the finder to not crash a $45,000 piece of equipment into a tree.

Next time I'm with you guys I can do so.

OP
sssmokin

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
zaphod posted: Check the GPS against a range finder. As long as the object shot is reflective the laser is accurate to 1 yard. I use mine to shoot the length for installation of irrigation system. That's trusting the finder to not crash a $45,000 piece of equipment into a tree.

Next time I'm with you guys I can do so.
We can check them tomorrow when we play, zaphod. I'm wondering if my batteries hadn't been getting low that day WBL and I played with Wi-golfer.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
It's possible, I know they say to always use fully charged batteries & mine sometimes wont even allow me to upload new courses if the batteries aren't fresh.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Nope, he agreed with me & changed clubs & played it for the shorter yardage. Believe me there is no way in hell I am hitting a 9 iron 150+ yards, 130-135 & that's it.

Wi-Golfer

NO WONDER I screwed up that hole!! You guys kept this a secret... :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The fact is that even with a 16-channel GPS using WAAS, the 95% accuracy is 1-3 meters. And that's the best possible accuracy. Practical accuracy, particulary when the receiver is moving, is less than that.

Golf GPS units are convenient, but they just aren't inherently all that accurate.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
But they sure are more accurate then most of the distances on the muni's we normally play... :)

They are incredibly mis-marked... :(

OP
sssmokin

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
zaphod and I played today, and I had batteries that weren't new in my GPS. It was really close with his range finder for the first 8 holes, then was way off on the 9th hole. I turned it off and turned it back on to see what the charge was, and it said the batteries were dead. That's probably what happened when we compared GPS's, Wi-golfer. I replaced the batteries, and it was back right close to zaphod's range finder again.

raven34

Jul 14, 2008
I agree the confidence with knowing exactly how far you have to hit the ball is worth every cent that these units cost. After using mine a couple of times I know exactly how far I hit each club as well and it is so good to be able to pull out the right club and not have to worry about hitting it hard or three quarters or whatever.
I wish I had bought one years ago.

Sgt.Hulka

Nov 10, 2005
Used my Golflogix (08) version, for the first time yesterday at Mahoning Valley CC. Was very impressed with it. Really helped when just off the fairway, and markers hard to find.. Will be using it again Sunday at Mt. Valley. Does anyone with their Golflogix have the cart cupholder, or do you just carry it?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.