• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfreview.com - Marching into the sunset

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
For those of you who are new here, we are a two year old site, thanks to our founder, mentor and friend - Sling.

Sling was like Moses and lead us out of the Golfreview.com desert. "GR" as we all know it, is a site renowned for its flamewars, low brow level of intellect, and cast of sludgebelly characters.

Bethpage Caddy, a good kid out of Long Island NY has been on there for years and apparently was named Moderator sometime back.

Well he has thrown up his hands and turned in the keys...

Schadenfreude. I love it.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=7841

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I don't think that, all by itself, is the death knell for GR. They go through moderators like your favorite chinese takeout goes through house cats. ;)

The mods there are easily frustrated because the are not given the tools to manage the site properly.

I suspect that GR will continue to lurch along as it always has.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
They go through moderators like you favorite chinese takeout goes through house cats

Ugh. I didn't need that mental image, even if it may be true.

I post at Golf Review occasionally, but truthfully, it's probably the worst golf forum I visit. I do like reading some of the equipment reviews, though.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
I don't think that, all by itself, is the death knell for GR. They go through moderators like your favorite chinese takeout goes through house cats. ;)

The mods there are easily frustrated because the are not given the tools to manage the site properly.

I suspect that GR will continue to lurch along as it always has.

You're right. GR is like The Middle East....it fuels itself perpetually on conflict....

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Slingblade61 said:
Simply speaking for myself, this is the main thing that held them back and one of the main reasons I choose not to post there when things seem to get out of hand as they often do, and is cetainly the case right now. I have taken about a 2 month hiatus right now, and have done so in the past. I personally think it sends a better message.

I guess I can not speak real poorly of them, as I would have not found this site had it not been for Sling and GR. I am just thankful that Sling has better control, and more importantly interest in the reputation for this sites well being. Sadly enough, as a 17 year old (???) BPC seems to have more maturity and character than a large portion of their current members.

A while back I tossed the idea around of volunteering my services and decided that with the knowledge I have of their situation you could accomplish more as simply a member and not a moderator and could say what you want. In the end, I decided it was much better to simply enjoy myself on a site such as this.

Even more simply put I would thank Sling for his hard work.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
They do like to bust balls a lot over there and BPC made himself an easy target. They were all over me for a while but I found it fun. I don't go over there as often as I used to. It seems like a lot of people are coming over here which is a good thing. I feel at home here on Shottalk.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I also find it funny that my handicap has dropped 4-5 strokes since I stopped posting on there, and is back in the teen's for the first time since I started posting on that site. I guess it is always good to follow superstitions. I always found it funny that you had to have a certain handicap to know what you were talking about.
lol
:)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I will always have a soft spot for GR. It used to be a fun site, and I enjoyed my time there. I try not to let the fact that it is a teenie bopper hangout now cloud the fact that it used to be a helluva fun spot to carouse.

I "met" a bunch of great people there, most who transplanted here-- some of whom (buddha) stuck around there.

In any even, Sling has provided us a great spot to carouse here, and we should all remember to thank him as often as possible.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
bdcrowe said:
I will always have a soft spot for GR. It used to be a fun site, and I enjoyed my time there. I try not to let the fact that it is a teenie bopper hangout now cloud the fact that it used to be a helluva fun spot to carouse.

I "met" a bunch of great people there, most who transplanted here-- some of whom (buddha) stuck around there.

In any even, Sling has provided us a great spot to carouse here, and we should all remember to thank him as often as possible.
Well said. I am now wondering if Spank will make it as a moderator under multiple identities at the same time.
:D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Well said. I am now wondering if Spank will make it as a moderator under multiple identities at the same time.
:D

He could ban himself and save the other mods the trouble.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
i always wondered where u went off gr, howsit goin PA.

I guess ill introduce myself, im from GR and saw mention of this site hoping it'd be better, GR is getting a little sad with all the sh*t goin on....

I found it too bad about BPC because he was a good guy, maybe we'll see him here instead.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Bravo said:
For those of you who are new here, we are a two year old site, thanks to our founder, mentor and friend - Sling.

Sling was like Moses and lead us out of the Golfreview.com desert. "GR" as we all know it, is a site renowned for its flamewars, low brow level of intellect, and cast of sludgebelly characters.

Bethpage Caddy, a good kid out of Long Island NY has been on there for years and apparently was named Moderator sometime back.

Well he has thrown up his hands and turned in the keys...

Schadenfreude. I love it.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=7841

You must have seen "Second Best" starring Joe Pantoliano. That's the only other place I've ever heard the word "Schadenfreude" actually uttered.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Sandpiper3 said:
i always wondered where u went off gr, howsit goin PA.

I guess ill introduce myself, im from GR and saw mention of this site hoping it'd be better, GR is getting a little sad with all the sh*t goin on....

I found it too bad about BPC because he was a good guy, maybe we'll see him here instead.
Goin' good, Welcome aboard. I was pretty much posting on both sites for close to 6-8 months, and it just started becoming more over here than there. Eventually I realized I spent very little time over there talking about golf. Not that I was ever too short on words on talking about other things, but it seemed to reach the point where they were posting Garbage just to post it and see how far they could go. It became apparent they couldn't really support their comments if they didn't really believe in them.

That and the fact that in my last days, there were some pretty racist and brazen statements made by users that were doing it just for kicks. They deleted the worst of them or closed a large part of the other content, but did nothing to the people that posted the content.

It's gotta be insulting to a moderator to have to delete or close stuff like that day after day to only have it come back. The admin over there obviously has little interest in the site, which after time left me with the same feelings.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I had never visited that site before reading this thread. I dropped in, read a few threads and dropped out. It seemed like a pretty juvenile place where golf is secondary to bustin' balls.
from what I saw (admittedly a short visit) the moderators were no different than the trolls. Looked like the fox guarding the hen house.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.