• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfsmith = golf heaven?

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
Anyone else been to one of these? On my way back from Atlantic City I stayed at my parents house overnight and my dad took me to golfsmith. Had a HUGEEEEE selection of demo clubs to whack away with and I am a lefty! Righty's had an even larger selection! Hit an R9, R7, G10, G15, Rapture V2, all the callaways, I mean the only clubs I didn't get to hit were Nike drivers. Had tons of sets of irons, a no pressure staff.... best golf store I have ever been too. Had about 15 scotty cameron studio select newport putters, first time I hit one of them and it was a thing of beauty... I now realize why everyone loves them. Naturally though the driver I hit the best was the R9.... why couldn't it have been the R7 or something more affordable!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
took me a year of shopping there to realize the deom clubs were back by the hitting bays... gotta try some out for fun now!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Golfsmith should go to Golf heaven. :)

I can't stand that place. We have two of them in Atlanta. Both suck. Service sucks, the prices are high as hell. The used clubs, most of them are mere pennies cheaper than the new ones. Because of that, they have used clubs that cost more than the price dropped NEW clubs.

I won't shop there, at all.

Now.. If you want golf heaven.. Find your way to a PGA Superstore.. That my friend, is golf heaven. Think Golfsmith, but.. Home Depot sized.

Hitting bays with simulated courses, and targets.. Short game area to try out all the wedges.. 1000 sq ft putting green to try putters. The chipping area has side hill bags and SAND BUNKERS to try out wedges too.

All the demo clubs are game to try before you buy. And they have absolutely everything you buy from tape for your fingers to custom set up club work.

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
Golfsmith Xtreme is pretty awesome. I think there's only like 3 of them so far (I may be wrong, but it's not more than 5). One of them's about 45 minutes from me in The Woodlands, and it's awesome.

I agree w/ Fatc1ty on the prices though. They don't go through and update their used inventory nearly enough. Every now and then you can get lucky and find a good deal on a used driver. If I want used clubs, I just go to Golf Galaxy. Much smaller selection, but better prices.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Anyone else been to one of these? On my way back from Atlantic City I stayed at my parents house overnight and my dad took me to golfsmith. Had a HUGEEEEE selection of demo clubs to whack away with and I am a lefty! Righty's had an even larger selection! Hit an R9, R7, G10, G15, Rapture V2, all the callaways, I mean the only clubs I didn't get to hit were Nike drivers. Had tons of sets of irons, a no pressure staff.... best golf store I have ever been too. Had about 15 scotty cameron studio select newport putters, first time I hit one of them and it was a thing of beauty... I now realize why everyone loves them. Naturally though the driver I hit the best was the R9.... why couldn't it have been the R7 or something more affordable!

If you went to the Morristown NJ Golfsmith there is a Golf Galaxy store only 5 minutes away. I find both of them overpriced but they are a great place to go test clubs before buying them on the internet.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Now that I see this thread I'm going to high jack it hehehehe

I'm traveling to Orlando on november-december, and was wondering if there was any place I could go to demo clubs? Its not easy to find clubs for demoing where I am right now, neither it is in OZ, so I wanted to have the opportunity to do so, and then by what I want from you guys used at a third of the price :D.

Does anybody know a good place? I was thinking in GOlfsmith since its he only one I know there, but I don't know if there is a PGA sore or something there.

Any help?

OP
S

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
Oh I will agree the prices are too high there, and i will most likely not be buying anything from there, especially the used clubs, but the fact that I got to hit over a large bucket of balls at a range with clubs I could never afford was just awesome. I wish I could find a PGA superstore, I will have to look into that. They just built this golfsmith in willow grove, pa. I saw a golf galaxy on my way to AC this past week and I wanted to go but didn't have the time

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have only ever been to one Golfsmith and that was in Atlanta. Here in VT none of the big box retailers come up this far. There is a Golf Galaxy about an hour and a half from me but thats it. From what I remember of golfsmith in Atlanta it was smaller than I thought it would be. The Golf Galaxy over here is decent though.

We do have a Golf & Ski Warehouse (local retailer in New England) that is close and have a great selection of both used and new. And they have had mostly the same staff for the last few years-with the exception of the part timers of course, so the staff is very knowledgeable.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
BigJim,

Which one in Atlanta? The one near Buckhead in a shopping center, or the one near Duluth(north atlanta), also in a large shopping center.. Near a Target, and Costco? If it was in Duluth, you could have gone across the parking lot, to the PGA Superstore's "flagship" store. :)

The PGA suprestore has seriously taken GRANDS from me..

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
I went to Golfsmith last year when shopping for clubs for my 14 year old daughter to use on the school team. The service was abosutely excellent. The guy sized her up for clubs and let her demo as many as she pleased. Never rushed us a bit. He gave us complete attention, rather than running off to do other things. Explained to us that since this was her first foray into competitive golf, no reason for a custom built set ( some of the other places basically told us she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside without their custom built set starting at $800.00), and politely asked us if we were interested in a box set he recommended for her to use. When we told him Golfsmith was the first stop and we were not yet ready to buy, he simply gave us a card and told us to call him if we had any more questions. No pressure whatsoever.
We ended up falling into one helluva great deal by accident, or I am pretty certain we would have bought at Golfsmith.
As far as prices go, a box set for a beginning competitive golfer was right in line with every other place we shopped.

lilhellmaker17

Aug 19, 2007
If you went to the Morristown NJ Golfsmith there is a Golf Galaxy store only 5 minutes away. I find both of them overpriced but they are a great place to go test clubs before buying them on the internet.

Moorestown, NJ. Morristown is the one way up North. I live about 10 minutes from both GG and GS, i find GS used selection awesome, but their prices are TERRIBLE. I never go to GS unless I am forced, GG is 10x better.

Jaden

🔥 Latest posts