• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfsmith P2 Irons - In progress!

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Golfsmith P2 Irons - Completed with Pics!

Well my Golfsmith P2 irons heads and shafts arrived yesterday and I'm stoked.

They are really nice looking. They've got a slightly thicker top line than my Wilson X-31 musclebacks and the head is slightly taller and longer. My first impression is "solid and confidence inspiring" when I looked at them on the loft/lie gauge -- especially for cavity backs.

These are definitely more of a player's club and I'm really looking forward to getting them together and hitting them. I have some time today so I'm going to start working on them now. Hopefully by the end of the weekend or Monday I'll be hitting them!

Pics to follow once I've got them assembled.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I plan on buying a set of these heads next week when the friends and family sale is on. All heads are 40% off.

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
That's cool, I'll be curious how yours work out for you. Knowing the quality of work you do I'm sure they'll look great.

Well mine are on the rack curing right now. Tomorrow they get butt trimmed and gripped. Maybe I'll get to hit them Sunday... :D

BTW, have you decided what shafts you're going to use?

I wanted to try a high launch setup since I have a fairly shallow swing and don't normally hit my irons too high. I went with Dynalite Gold S300's since they are a decent shaft and relatively cheap. If I decide I don't like them I won't feel too bad about pulling them and trying something else.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
That's cool, I'll be curious how yours work out for you. Knowing the quality of work you do I'm sure they'll look great.

Well mine are on the rack curing right now. Tomorrow they get butt trimmed and gripped. Maybe I'll get to hit them Sunday... :D

BTW, have you decided what shafts you're going to use?

I wanted to try a high launch setup since I have a fairly shallow swing and don't normally hit my irons too high. I went with Dynalite Gold S300's since they are a decent shaft and relatively cheap. If I decide I don't like them I won't feel too bad about pulling them and trying something else.

Hope you like the Dynalites. I tested six different shafts in a six iron before reshafting with Dynalite Gold R300's. Couldn't be happier with those shafts. Nice ball-flight, very stable feel. Good for my swing.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm using dynalites in my short irons too (reg flex tipped to firm flex) I like the feel of a softer tip section and the higher flight lets me use a lower spin ball and still keep it on the green. I find the lower spin ball is helpful off the tee, then, if i hit my approach shot high, it comes into the green at a steep angle so it's not running off the back.
If I want to hit it lower, I just drop a club and swing easier

looking forward to seeing the completed P2's

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Hope you like the Dynalites. I tested six different shafts in a six iron before reshafting with Dynalite Gold R300's. Couldn't be happier with those shafts. Nice ball-flight, very stable feel. Good for my swing.

I'm using dynalites in my short irons too (reg flex tipped to firm flex) I like the feel of a softer tip section and the higher flight lets me use a lower spin ball and still keep it on the green. I find the lower spin ball is helpful off the tee, then, if i hit my approach shot high, it comes into the green at a steep angle so it's not running off the back.
If I want to hit it lower, I just drop a club and swing easier

looking forward to seeing the completed P2's

Thanks for the feedback guys. You kind of confirmed my suspicions and it's nice to hear from people who have actually played the shafts. I only know one other person who has them and he likes them too.

I've been playing the D2 Feel balls and occasionally Nike Power Soft balls and they don't spin a tremendous amount. I figured hitting short irons higher and landing them softer would be a good combo. I hit both those balls great off the tee (the D2 a little better) so I really didn't want to change to a higher spin ball.

I drop a club and swing easier too if I want to hit a lower shot. Here in KS we get a lot of wind and I use that shot quite often.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am looking forward to the pics. :)

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I've been playing the D2 Feel balls and occasionally Nike Power Soft balls and they don't spin a tremendous amount. I figured hitting short irons higher and landing them softer would be a good combo. I hit both those balls great off the tee (the D2 a little better) so I really didn't want to change to a higher spin ball.

I'm also using the D2 Feels - previously was playing Bridgestone e5's but I find I hit them a bit high off the tee - next time I'm at the store I'm going to pick up the lower spinning e6's and another box of D2 Feels

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Any chance you can get a pic or two of the wedge and 9 iron from a playing position. I really would like to see what they look like at address.

Thanks

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Any chance you can get a pic or two of the wedge and 9 iron from a playing position. I really would like to see what they look like at address.

Thanks

OK, here's some pics. I took them real quick right after I gripped them so some of the pics aren't as good as I'd like. I should get to hit them tomorrow and I can't wait.

5 Iron at Address

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0138sm.jpg

9 Iron at Address

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0157sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0158sm.jpg

51° Wedge at Address

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0152sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0153sm.jpg

9 Iron Views

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0146sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0147sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0148sm.jpg

5 Iron Cavity Back View

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0161sm.jpg

I have to say, I think these irons are sweet looking. They swing nice too. If I can hit them half as good as they look I'll be incredibly happy.

:beach3:

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online