• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfsmith P2 Wedges

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I decided that I wasn't going to fight the zoo at the golf course on Memorial Day weekend but I wanted something golf related to do. I haven't been totally happy with the way I hit my Adams Watson wedges so was thinking about trying something different.

I also have building a set of Golfsmith P2 irons on my "to do" list. I don't need them now but I definitely want to build a set in the near future.

So I decided to build the wedges out of the set as a quick Memorial weekend project. That way I could get a look at the overall quality and finish of the heads, plus I'd have a new and relatively inexpensive set of wedges to try out. If I didn't like them, I'd only be out about $80 plus a little of my time.

I built the Attack (gap), Sand and Lob wedges from the P2 set. I used TT DG R300 shafts and Golf Pride Velvet Tour grips. I rarely hit any of these wedges with a full swing so the softer regular flex shaft seemed like a good idea.

The gap wedge is spec'd at 51° loft/7° bounce. The sand wedge is 55° loft/12° bounce and the lob wedge is 59° loft/8° bounce. They are all spec'd at 64° lie. As with the previous D2 iron heads I got from Golfsmith, the lie angles and lofts were all within 1° of spec and the weight was within 2 gms. of spec for all three heads. I am starting to become impressed with Golfsmith's quality control. Maybe I'm lucky but every head I've bought from them has been flawless and right on spec.

Well here's how they turned out. I can only say WOW!, these things are gorgeous. My crappy pics don't do them justice but the finish and detail on these clubs is truly beautiful. ualtim got to see them at the PGA show earlier this year and he commented on how pretty they are -- and he is right!

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0107sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0109sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0116sm.jpg

awww.webtoo.net_misc_100_0120sm.jpg

I got to take them to the practice range this week and I hit maybe 200 chips and another 50 or so pitches of up to about 75 yards. I hit about 2 dozen bunker shots with the SW and found it as easy to use as any SW I had tried before.

I thought the feel was really nice with all three wedges. I like the contour of the soles on these wedges, I was able to hit chips well off of tight lies or fluffy lies equally well. The bounce radius will let you open them up pretty far and still get down through the ball on a tight lie. I had good distance control with them, they felt solid and I was able to stop the ball very well with them. Will they spin the ball as well as a Vokey SM? I dunno (I doubt it) but then I have never relied on a huge amount of spin in my short game.

They are going to get some serious "bag time" from me now. We'll see how they work out long term, but it did convince me that building the rest of a set of P2's is going to happen for sure. :D

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Those look great!

The P2 is a very solid looking head, very clean. I'm curious to hear how the rest of the irons go as I like the looks of them.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
hey man where do you play the majority of the time?

I'm in Shawnee, we should try to get a round in sometime.

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
hey man where do you play the majority of the time?

I'm in Shawnee, we should try to get a round in sometime.

I play all over the area so I'm open to almost anywhere. I haven't played Tomahawk in a while, maybe we could play there. I'm open to suggestions.

chiefsfanatic

May 13, 2007
So, do you build clubs professionally? Those wedges look great. How much would you charge to build a set?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Nice job on the P2's, they look awesome. I am looking forward to your review/opinion of the wedges once you get a few rounds in with them.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I've read a few accounts of people going to see a clubfitter thinking they'd wind up with a set of forged irons and being surprised that these were the best feeling/best fit for their game - price isn't bad either!

good luck - let us know what you think of the rest of the set as you build them

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I was looking through GS's Club Maker catalog last night and the P2s look different in there. The pics in the catalog just don't do these things justice!

At ~10 bucks a clubhead, I'm thinking about tinkering myself now. I have some .370 TT shafts in the garage sitting in some old-@ss Cally knock-offs and they would certainly love a chance to get into the P2s...

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I've read a few accounts of people going to see a clubfitter thinking they'd wind up with a set of forged irons and being surprised that these were the best feeling/best fit for their game - price isn't bad either!

good luck - let us know what you think of the rest of the set as you build them

I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm thinking I'll try to build the rest of the set in a month or so.

Back when I was building the D2 irons, I called Golfsmith and talked to one of their clubmakers. I mentioned I liked the P2 heads as well and he said the P2 irons were pretty much the favorite all around iron head with the staff there. I can see why.

I was looking through GS's Club Maker catalog last night and the P2s look different in there. The pics in the catalog just don't do these things justice!

At ~10 bucks a clubhead, I'm thinking about tinkering myself now. I have some .370 TT shafts in the garage sitting in some old-@ss Cally knock-offs and they would certainly love a chance to get into the P2s...

Yep, I thought they looked nice but not really really nice from the catalog pics until I saw ualtim's pics from the PGA show. You could see from his pics they were a lot nicer than the catalog showed.

It was the same with the D2 irons I built from Golfsmith. The catalog pics looked OK but not fabulous. Once I received them I was very pleasantly surprised,

Golfsmith has some really nice components sprinkled throughout their lineup, that's for sure.

Nice job on the P2's, they look awesome. I am looking forward to your review/opinion of the wedges once you get a few rounds in with them.

Will do. Just after hitting them on the range I'm pretty sure I'll like them on the course. I'm trying to sneak out early this week one afternoon and get them on the course. I may even go to the local exec course at the practice range and play there. The short clubs always get a workout there. :D

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Tomahawk or Overland Park would work well for me. I haven't played either in some time really.

If you have a specific day you're free lmk. I have summer classes at JCCC Mon. through Thurs. from 9-12:30 . but nothing special other than that.

lmk.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yep, I thought they looked nice but not really really nice from the catalog pics until I saw ualtim's pics from the PGA show. You could see from his pics they were a lot nicer than the catalog showed.

It was the same with the D2 irons I built from Golfsmith. The catalog pics looked OK but not fabulous. Once I received them I was very pleasantly surprised,

MGP, since you have the D2's and the P2's....and they both look better in person than the catalogs.....

Do they match enough to do a mixed set with them? 4,5,6 in the D2's and 7,8,9,P,A,S in the P2's? or are you planning to build a whole set?

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
MGP, since you have the D2's and the P2's....and they both look better in person than the catalogs.....

Do they match enough to do a mixed set with them? 4,5,6 in the D2's and 7,8,9,P,A,S in the P2's? or are you planning to build a whole set?

I'm still planning to do the whole set of P2's, that's one nice thing about them not costing too much to build. I may end up playing them as a mixed set though, similar to what you've listed. The heads are all cast of the same stainless, except the P2 wedges I already built which are softer. The D2's have quite a bit wider sole and deeper cavity which isn't a bad thing for the longer irons.

I really like the D2 4i-7i but I'm not so sure about the 8i-PW yet. I'm still used to smaller blades with the more lofted irons from all my years of playing blades. I suspect I'll like the "player cavity back" profile of the P2 lofted irons. I hadn't really thought about playing a mixed set but now that you bring it up it's a pretty good idea.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think I remember reading that these heads were pretty adjustable for loft and lie too - so if you were to find a yardage gap between the D2 7i and the P2 8i, I think you can have the 8 bent a little strong and/or the 7 a little weak

I'm playing a mixed set right now (I posted what a mess my bag was in another thread) but now the wishon 560mc 8,9,PW,AW have arrived so it's alot better

I'm currently playing:
Driver
4 wood
hybrid
macgregor m565 3,4,5,6
Wishon 560mc 7,8,9,PW,AW
Wishon CX-micro satin 58*
putter

I like the feel/look/confidence in the short irons and the help/game improvement features of the long irons

good luck

🔥 Latest posts