• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golfsmith P2 Wedges

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Nice job on the P2's, they look awesome. I am looking forward to your review/opinion of the wedges once you get a few rounds in with them.

Well I've played 4 rounds with them now and I really like them. I've been especially good with the 51° wedge around the greens -- with the D2 Feel ball my chips have been checking up nice with a small amount of roll out, just what I like. Shots from about 50 yds. have hit and stuck which I'm also happy with.

The 56° wedge has been a pleasant surprise. It seems a lot easier to hit semi-flop shots from moderate lies much easier than my previous Adams sand wedge. I probably won't carry the lob wedge much because I hit this one so well.

They all have a nice soft feel to them, the 300 series stainless they've cast these out of was a good choice I think. They've got nice U-grooves that should really spin a premium ball well too.

Overall, I like them a lot.

I've read a few accounts of people going to see a clubfitter thinking they'd wind up with a set of forged irons and being surprised that these were the best feeling/best fit for their game - price isn't bad either!

good luck - let us know what you think of the rest of the set as you build them

Well since I had nothing else to Ho I went ahead and ordered the rest of the heads for a full set and new shafts. They ought to be here by Thursday so I'll probably have a whole new set to report on next week.

I'm looking forward to that... :D

I think I remember reading that these heads were pretty adjustable for loft and lie too - so if you were to find a yardage gap between the D2 7i and the P2 8i, I think you can have the 8 bent a little strong and/or the 7 a little weak

Yeah, they say you can bend the irons ±10°! :faintthud

They also say the alloy they used doesn't have "memory" and holds the new bend. I'm not sure how big a problem this is anyway or how much advertising hype it might be. I don't expect to have to do any major tweaks regardless, but it is interesting they make that point in their advertising.

I'll have to see how the new longer and mid irons play, I may just play the whole set. According to the specs the P2 and D2 irons are lofted the same but the P2's launch a little higher. I'm kind of building this set to launch a bit higher anyways as I hit the D2's a little lower than I'd like (hmm, a mid-launch iron with a mid-launch shaft, go figure :laugh:).

It should be a fun project anyway. I'll report back on how it all went once I get them built and hit them a bit.

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Those look more game improvement than most wedges. Would you expect that they would be easier to hit than the blades but still not difficult to stop?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Those look more game improvement than most wedges.

just curious why you think they look more game improvement? They remind me alot of the TM RAC wedges. I haven't handled the P2's, but i suppose maybe the top line looks a little thicker in the picture? anything else?

I think golfsmith pushes them as playable/workable, not so much game improvement - they push the D2's for that I think

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
they looked really good when we played, very similar to my RAC gap wedge, not a game improvement looking club.

MGP was all over the stick with it too, that always makes it better.

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Those look more game improvement than most wedges. Would you expect that they would be easier to hit than the blades but still not difficult to stop?

I'm not sure they are any easier to hit than any other wedge but I'd definitely describe the feeling as "solid". They get through the ball nice and give you some good feedback when you hit the ball.

I didn't hit them side-by-side but they do remind me of the TM RAC wedges (from memory).

I'd say the top line is slightly thicker than some of the more popular wedges but if you look at the profile of the club and see it at address, it's very similar to the RAC.

they looked really good when we played, very similar to my RAC gap wedge, not a game improvement looking club.

MGP was all over the stick with it too, that always makes it better.

Hehe... well it's a good thing my chipping and putting were good because the rest of my game stunk. :laugh:

If I remember right I only hit one really bad chip that day and it was because of a terrible swing I put on it.

I think I finally got my swing straightened out. Something you said about my swing that day helped (being shallow/flat) -- I'm finally getting down through the ball crisply at impact but it took about another round and a half to figure out why and how to fix it. :rolleyes:

I shot an 85 last Friday at Eagles Landing. I love that course but hadn't played it since they renovated it. I shot a 45 on the front and about halfway through the front my swing finally started clicking. On the back I had a 40 and I even missed a couple putts around 4 ft. I normally make so it could have been better. Oh yeah, I also hit 12 of 14 fairways and I just missed the fairway at the ninth hole because I drove it about 6 ft. straight through the dogleg. I was piping them all down the middle all day -- I wish I could drive like that every round...

:beach3:

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I expect them to be easier to hit because they look like they have a lower CG and and more perimeter weight than most wedges.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online