• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GolfWorld Article on "no weight shift"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There's two new instructors (Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett) many of the pros have went to who are teaching that the most efficient swing is one in which the golfer stays centered over the ball during the backswing, while keeping the weight on the front foot. Some of their students who won or improved after their instruction are: Armour III, Axley, Baddeley, Cook, MacKenzie, Weir, Wi and Wilson.

* Steeper shoulder turn
* A right leg that straightens (right hander)
* A hand path that moves inward more than traditional teaching
* No weight shift to the right (right hander), and in some situations a weight shift to the left on the backswing.

Pretty cool stuff. I never did much of a weight shift so this is right up my alley. April 20th issue of GolfWorld, page 35....

:)

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
This is great to hear. I try to not shift at all, if I do, I hang back and reverse pivot and top and swear and.....

I didn't need an instructor to tell me its OK, but..

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
think you could get that article into a post for us WBL, id be interested to see that as everything im hitting right now is about 15 yards L-R.

My coach says its because i am cutting across the ball (which is knew), and the reason y im cutting across (which i didnt know) was that i wasnt transferring my weight back properly.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I don't think I should post it in this thread (copyright laws) but let me see if I can scan it and attach to PM's or something. Hold on. :)

PS (I tried to put a link to the GolfWorld site to the article but they don't give access to the articles online like other mags...) $$$$ :laugh:

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Did you try to save the page or do the right click "save as" thing? There should be some way to save it so that you can pm it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Totally against everyting I know,they are advocating a reverse pivot.Now unless you are a pro and can practice for hours everday under the watchful eye of a top coach then I'm afraid I can see a lot of handicap players having problems with this.

It doesn't sound cool at all,it sounds pretty irresponsible to print it but hey,who am I? Anything can work I suppose but if I was a betting man I bet there will be a lot of duffing about on some ranges after that has been read.

It sounds the part of a whole and unless you get the full picture with hours to train and a lot of advice at close hand I can only see disaster for many players

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Totally against everyting I know,they are advocating a reverse pivot.Now unless you are a pro and can practice for hours everday under the watchful eye of a top coach then I'm afraid I can see a lot of handicap players having problems with this.

It doesn't sound cool at all,it sounds pretty irresponsible to print it but hey,who am I? Anything can work I suppose but if I was a betting man I bet there will be a lot of duffing about on some ranges after that has been read.

It sounds the part of a whole and unless you get the full picture with hours to train and a lot of advice at close hand I can only see disaster for many players

According to the way it was described, it isn't a reverse pivot, it's more of a half pivot. No shift on the back swing, with all of the shift going forward on the downswing. Unless I misinterpreted it, that isn't a reverse pivot. But I admit, it sounds a bit strange to me too.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
'in some situations a weight shift to the left on the backswing'

Sounds uncannily like a reverse pivot to me and what situations anyway? How do you decide when to do this? It sounds utterly bizarre to me.Steeper swing and a reverse pivot plus a straightenign right leg?

Er,I remain unconvinced although I will try everything but those 3 three things I have had drilled out of me for 25 years.I can just see it now,some golfers on ranges doing reverse pivots,snapping their right legs straight and swinging more upright than Weiskopf.Well it might work,some top coaches have said so.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
well i went to see a teaching pro near me - to check him out, while deciding whether to have some lessons from him. I asked him what his teaching ethos was - ie. 1 swing fits all - or just adapt what's already there. His answer is the reason i didn't sign up.

He basically said that all his teaching revolved around trying to get people to stay as near as possible to the impact position (feet, legs etc) while going back and through. Sort of keeping it simple etc - but as he swung for me, it looked a lot like no weight shift and certainly NOTHING like my current swing...

suffice to say - i saved the £38 per 45 mins, and put it toward more ho'ing :)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Basically that article does not elaborate on their teaching. It just describes how they take tons of movies of each subject etc. It mostly is telling how the two guys got started etc etc. I don't think printing it would give you any more insight into this theory then what I've said above.
:)

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
You should be all right posting the article so long as you give proper credit to source and author. We had this discussion on another frum I post on...

todmun

May 22, 2006
It's kinda funny you bring that up because today all I concentrated on was making sure I was balanced at pretty much center and letting my momentum bring my body through my swing and I was down the middle all day. Only missed one fairway(light rough). Shot an 83( short game needs a little help )

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.