• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GolfWorld Article on "no weight shift"

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
think you could get that article into a post for us WBL, id be interested to see that as everything im hitting right now is about 15 yards L-R.

My coach says its because i am cutting across the ball (which is knew), and the reason y im cutting across (which i didnt know) was that i wasnt transferring my weight back properly.

You too? I just cant seem to shake the dramatic "fade". I was thinking that was the reason but im not too sure? Shot an 84 with the fade today on a 73.8 course at 6910 yds. That 10-15 fade man it really helps those balls land soffffttttt.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
It does man, but as soon as you pull 1 or 2 shots, thats when your effed because then you cant trust aiming down OB left. Today that happend to me and i was definately effed. total of 17 shots worst then my tour even last week to this week.....

It was depressing to say the least. I had to par 18 to break 90, suffice to say it didnt happen...

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
sandiper-i just had a lesson, im doing the same exact thing as you, my coach said i got to get my head behind the ball(transfer weigh to back foot) and keep my head behind the ball untill after impact. I've been working on doing that and i got it down to a 10-20 foot fade with the irons (mostly). Might work for you.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
O no man, my problem right now is that im leaving my club behind myself, every part of my swing is good, but im just leaving my wrists wayyy behind and the club is sitting WIDDEE open. Just gota work hard this week for the next event next sunday. I actually need to stay behind the ball a little better.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Totally against everyting I know,they are advocating a reverse pivot.Now unless you are a pro and can practice for hours everday under the watchful eye of a top coach then I'm afraid I can see a lot of handicap players having problems with this.

It doesn't sound cool at all,it sounds pretty irresponsible to print it but hey,who am I? Anything can work I suppose but if I was a betting man I bet there will be a lot of duffing about on some ranges after that has been read.

It sounds the part of a whole and unless you get the full picture with hours to train and a lot of advice at close hand I can only see disaster for many players

I'm with Dave, this sounds experimental and chancey at best.

He basically said that all his teaching revolved around trying to get people to stay as near as possible to the impact position (feet, legs etc) while going back and through. Sort of keeping it simple etc - but as he swung for me, it looked a lot like no weight shift and certainly NOTHING like my current swing...

And this just sounds stupid. A good pro tailors a swing to be most effective per pupil.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think this teaching might benefit people who shift to much to the right and do not return it on the downswing. I doubt they are advocating 100 percent weight on the left at all times, are they? I tell myself not to shift, but it still happens. It just limits the shift, and reminds me to shift and turn to start the downswing.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I wouldn't criticize this until we all know more about their technique and this article doesn't do that. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I critisize until I see validation of it's usefullness. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I wouldn't criticize this until we all know more about their technique and this article doesn't do that. :)

Exactly,so its a pointless and dangerous article.It sounds like it says 'go have a go at a reverse pivot,swing steeper and straighten your right leg but we won't tell you why,or how,or bother with the details,or any details at all,only its worked for a few tour pros'

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
However, in Warbird's defense, it certainly is an intruiging and alternative approach, and can probably help quite a bit for some.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I need to read the article before judging it. But I do know this:

It is impossible to keep the weight on the front foot without making a reverse pivot.

Having said that, it is beneficial to minimize weight shift. I always try to feel as though my weight is about 60% on the inside of my right foot at the top. This gives me a solid base from which to create the momentum I need to get the club (which is over my right side) back to the left side at impact.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am only offering my criticisms based on WB 'summising',he may be Mark Twain esque for all I know,but then again,he may not;)

I agree,minimising weight shift is good and imho weight shift itself is over played in golf,as long as it doesn't hang on the front foot forget it,thats always worked for me,kind of goes against the article though

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
This sounds like reinvention of the wheel for me, i read that they were disciples of MORAD the Mac O Grady teaching facility, so this would indicate to me that their ideas may centralise around "The Golf Machine" by Homer Kelley and its interpretations of O Gradys teachings, the current Masters champ is a sort of disciple of the TGM school of thought by way of being coached by Mike Bender who is again a studier of TGM. i await the chance to veiw it online as i do not have access to GolfWorld weekly in the UK.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Ben Hogan had a border-line reverse-pivot on his backswing. He did pretty well with it, I think. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.