• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good 2nd set of clubs

pingguy

Mar 22, 2010
Hi everyone,
I have a friend who has just started getting into golf and is currently playing with a set of crummy clubs he got at a garage sale. Lately he has been asking me what his next set should be and since I am biased towards PING, I thought I'd get some additional insight rather then talk him into something I like. He shoots in the 120s and wants to take some lessons once he buys a new set. I know PING does an excellent job of fitting clubs but what about Callaway or Taylormade? I know he can buy preowned clubs through golfsmith, but other then PING, I don't know which direction to point him in.
Thanks in advance

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Anything. Shooting in the 120's he still needs a game-improvement set , so stay away from small heads with thin toplines and a blade-style look. The Callaway X-22 would be great, but so would any brand with that style of head (giant cavity back). For some random guy shooting in the 120's, the answer is some random game-improvement set.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
First of all, what budget are you talking about? What clubs is he trying to get?

I would say to go for used clubs, and once he starts playing seriously and knows enough about equipment and the game itself, he can upgrade to something else.

Places like Callaway Pre-Owned have a lot of great clubs to be found for a beginner golfer for really good prices.

WOODS:
I think a Driver is the least important piece of equipment for a new player. Find a good 3W which should replace the driver and work as almost the only tee option for a while. Callaway's Big Bertha's or Hyper-Xs are a pretty good choice if money is an issue. Taylormade Burner 07 series, Ping G10s, and Adams lines will work wonderfully.

IRONS:
PING is a great brand of clubs, and if he can afford them, a set of G10s for example could be an excellent starting set. Callaway's Big Bertha is a pretty good choice. Wilson Di series are spectacular clubs and go for very cheap, even new. Taylormade R7s, Adams AOS (if he want good hybrids included in the set).

WEDGES:
I think the best way you can go for wedges as a beginner would be to go for an Adam's Tom Watson 3-piece st which can be had new in any retail store for under $100 for the whole set.
A 52-56-60 would be the way to go. I can personally say those are some of the best wedges to play, and definitely the best bang for the buck. If he's got a little more to spend maybe the Cleveland CG14 line would be of his interest. Great line of wedges, easy to hit and going for around $90 new right now, and half that price used.

PUTTER:
Here its all about personal experience. He has to try what he feels comfortable with: can be a $15 K-Mart plastic putter or a $1500 limited edition Scotty Cameron...

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
yeah, his budget is where we need to start. how much is he willing to spend? he can get decent sets on Ebay for $100-ish. Or, theres always places like callawaypreowned.com, touredgepreowned.com, globalgolf.com, 3ballsgolf.com (you can get nice NEW sets for CHEAP here too), rockbottomgolf.com, etc

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.