• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good books for 2 weeks study/practice

PaulMTC

Mar 21, 2006
Hi all,

I am going on holiday to a golf village in Portugal for 2 weeks. This village has a 9-hole par-3 course running through it and an abundance of practice facilities/areas throughout.

I've been before and it's particularly good for practising short game with many little (well tended) putting greens here and there, chipping/pitching areas (on grass) and practice bunkers. It also has a driving range for full bag practice. The course itself consists of 9 par-3's ranging from pitching wedge to 3 iron.

I would like to take some instructional reading material with me, with the idea of putting into practice some of the ideas by way of a daily practice using the facilities in the village.

This is pre-season practice (first competitions of the season start when I come back off holiday).

So - can anyone recommend some well-regarded books that I could take that would lend itself to what I am trying to achieve?

I am looking for all round help with my game. I am a 17 handicapper and have played on and off for 10 years.

Many thanks to all who respond.

Paul.

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
Someone recommended Zen Golf on here for when I needed something to read/do on the flight to Ireland. I recommend that book, because it really helps you clear your conscience, which keeps you calm during putting. The ideas in it are very intriguing.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Pelz Short game bible
Hogan's five fundamentals
and recently I picked up Penicks Little Red Book, which I am about 3/4 of the way through and will add it to my list of great golf books. I just really like his style of thinking and teaching. It may be at the top of my list by the time I finish.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Get all of the Penik books. Red, Green, and Blue. They are just plain awesome.

Another good one I have found is Tom Watson's Strategic Golf. Kind of a different instruction book in that it teaches strategy rather than swing mechanics.

Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way is another classic, but I wood get the Penik books over it in a heartbeat.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
I would get one book that deals more with the technical side and one that deals more with the mental side.

Technical:
Hogan's Five Fundamentals
Nicklaus' Golf My Way
Either of Pelz's Bibles, although I prefer the Short Game Bible.

Mental:
Penick's Little Red Book
Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect"
Gallwey's "The Inner Game of Golf"
Kroen's "Golf, How Good Do You Want to Be?"

By the way, have fun. Sounds like a nice trip.

🔥 Latest posts