• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good cheap golf balls

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The end of this season I've been trying some cheap balls to see which are good bargains. I've tried the new Srixon Distance ball and the TaylorMade Distance + ball. Here is my short and to the point reviews.

Srixon Distance Great ball for the money. As long as any I've hit. If I can't afford the Z-Star this will come close. And it seemed to stop okay on the greens.

TaylorMade Distance Good ball but not as long as the Srixon and it wanted to "curve" more due to higher spin. Didn't like stopping on the greens.

I'm still open to the Cut ball if I can get a chance to try them more after this winter.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
The end of this season I've been trying some cheap balls to see which are good bargains. I've tried the new Srixon Distance ball and the TaylorMade Distance + ball. Here is my short and to the point reviews.

Srixon Distance Great ball for the money. As long as any I've hit. If I can't afford the Z-Star this will come close. And it seemed to stop okay on the greens.

TaylorMade Distance Good ball but not as long as the Srixon and it wanted to "curve" more due to higher spin. Didn't like stopping on the greens.

I'm still open to the Cut ball if I can get a chance to try them more after this winter.
I'm a hug fan of the Cut ball. Knocked the z-star out of my bag.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Cheap golf balls are whatever I get for a Christmas present, even if they are ProV1s or Callaway Chromes, since they cost me nothing.

I got so tired of getting totally useless shit (how many Kobalt vise grip pliers do I need) that now when somebody asks what I want, I just say golf balls, any golf balls, as long as they are white. The way I play, it makes absolutely no difference to my score.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
If you're looking for a value/performance golf ball, these are hard to beat.

QSA_WPU.jpg

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
If you're looking for a value/performance golf ball, these are hard to beat.

QSA_WPU.jpg
I found a couple of these late this season. I rarely put a lot of spin on short irons into the greens. These would stop within a reasonable distance. Are they a 2-piece ball with a surlyn cover? I have seen a Q Star Tour ball and believe it is a 3-piece ball.

Last edited:

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I found a couple of these late this season. I rarely put a lot of spin on short irons into the greens. These would stop within a reasonable distance. Are they a 2-piece ball with a surlyn cover? I have seen a Q Star Tour ball and believe it is a 3-piece ball.

I’m not sure of the distinction. I thought they were 3 piece.

BogeySwine

Feb 16, 2017
I was looking into buying some golf balls for the Grand kids earlier today and I actually remembered to check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour balls! The Q-Star is a 2 piece ball with a surlyn cover. The Q-Star Tour is a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I was looking into buying some golf balls for the Grand kids earlier today and I actually remembered to check out the Srixon Q-Star and Q-Star Tour balls! The Q-Star is a 2 piece ball with a surlyn cover. The Q-Star Tour is a 3 piece ball with a urethane cover.
With MY game, I ONLY play golf balls that are "TOUR" models. Folks will attempt to tell you the Pro V is Titleist's best ball. Well, if it was their best, it would have the word "TOUR" in its name! The NTX Tour has to be a better ball!! The long hitters on Tour must be using the Slashenger TOUR Distance ball. That would be the only way they could see those 350 yard drives... just like mine.
It's just like my clubs. My Cleveland wedges say "Tour Spin". You outta see me back up a ball. Heck! With those Tour Spin grooves, I can spin my Top Flite Straight Distance ball back 10 yards on a 5 yard wide green!!! When I tried to play a non-Tour driver, I only could get about 200 yards out of a solid drive. Then I found this Integra TOUR driver brand new for $49.99 at Academy Sports. IIRC, that's the same driver Justin Dohnson plays on Tour but covers with a Trailer Maid head cover. I could not believe the difference in my tee game. Ever since going to that TOUR driver, I have not had a drive go less than 350 yards. Someone told me the drives won't go as far once the fairways thaw and are no longer frozen, but that's hogwash!
Over the past few months, I have finally been able to get rid of all my "amateur" clubs like Ping and Callaway and anything that doesn't carry the "TOUR" stamp on it. I really think every club and ball now stored in the back bedroom of my 12-wide is TOUR quality. I can't go back there and check, right now, to make sure. When I woke this morning and saw what was in the bed next to me, I vamoosed outta there quicker than a skunk tryin' to get home before daylight. By the sounds comin' from back there, she's still snoring. Something must have happened, though. I know when we left the bar last night she was TOUR quality!!!!:D:D

Please, pjcahanes, the above is in no way disparaging your post. I just was in a typing mood this morning... waiting on that lady in the back bedroom of my 12-wide to wake and move on!! (Boy, I hope my beautiful wife never logs into Shot Talk!)

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
With MY game, I ONLY play golf balls that are "TOUR" models. Folks will attempt to tell you the Pro V is Titleist's best ball. Well, if it was their best, it would have the word "TOUR" in its name! The NTX Tour has to be a better ball!! The long hitters on Tour must be using the Slashenger TOUR Distance ball. That would be the only way they could see those 350 yard drives... just like mine.
It's just like my clubs. My Cleveland wedges say "Tour Spin". You outta see me back up a ball. Heck! With those Tour Spin grooves, I can spin my Top Flite Straight Distance ball back 10 yards on a 5 yard wide green!!! When I tried to play a non-Tour driver, I only could get about 200 yards out of a solid drive. Then I found this Integra TOUR driver brand new for $49.99 at Academy Sports. IIRC, that's the same driver Justin Dohnson plays on Tour but covers with a Trailer Maid head cover. I could not believe the difference in my tee game. Ever since going to that TOUR driver, I have not had a drive go less than 350 yards. Someone told me the drives won't go as far once the fairways thaw and are no longer frozen, but that's hogwash!
Over the past few months, I have finally been able to get rid of all my "amateur" clubs like Ping and Callaway and anything that doesn't carry the "TOUR" stamp on it. I really think every club and ball now stored in the back bedroom of my 12-wide is TOUR quality. I can't go back there and check, right now, to make sure. When I woke this morning and saw what was in the bed next to me, I vamoosed outta there quicker than a skunk tryin' to get home before daylight. By the sounds comin' from back there, she's still snoring. Something must have happened, though. I know when we left the bar last night she was TOUR quality!!!!:D:D

Please, pjcahanes, the above is in no way disparaging your post. I just was in a typing mood this morning... waiting on that lady in the back bedroom of my 12-wide to wake and move on!! (Boy, I hope my beautiful wife never logs into Shot Talk!)
TLDR.

🔥 Latest posts