• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

good first golf book

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I would recommend The Greatest Game Ever Played. It is the story of Francis Ouimet in the U.S. Open Championship. While having the qualities of a fine novel, it explains the early origins of professional golf, both in the United Kingdom as well as in North America. You will learn about the great early professionals, most of them British, and how they came over the pond and began to spark broad interest in the game of golf for the first time.

And Francis Ouimet, a largely self-taught man-child from a poor family, who grew up across the street from the Country Club in Brookline Mass and how he won the US Open in a driving rainstorm over the world's best players....

So when you've had enough 'swing thoughts' put into your mind after reading all of the instructional stuff and just want to relax...open this up and you won't put it down. A fine literary piece of writing.

And for pure belly laughs, read Rick Reilly's "Whose your Caddy?"

nm250eff

new mexico golfer
Aug 15, 2006
Anything by Rick Reilly

"Who's Your Caddy?" by Rick Reilly - a sports journo learns how to be a caddy by going out with pros, celebrities and various other notable golfers. Very funny, and gives a different perspective on the game and the people involved in it - especially his experiences with tour Pros and then with Donald Trump!

Totally agree! This was the best book I have read in a long time. I just finnished it a couple weeks ago. Very funny and interesting to see how some of the best in the game played. A chapter on some gambling golfers ($100,000.00) and how they played. Great read!

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I think that what I liked best about 'Whose Your Caddy' was that it was thoroughly entertaining all the way through, you had a real laugh reading it, but once you finished you suddenly realized you knew a lot more about the psychology of golfers, particularly the tour pros he works with, and a hell of a lot more about why caddies are so vital to the players. The episode where he is taught not to 'talk to the ball', and where he thinks he's lost the players clubs during the night really stick in my mind...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
5 Lessons, Ben Hogan. Not sure you'll be able to sit still and read it though. I read it and have a SW handy for practice swings.

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
Baggar Vance is another great one... DONT SEE THE MOVIE FIRST, read the book for gods sake it ll ruin the book.
Golf in the Kingdom- great book, loved it start to finish, not really funny but just great.
and the sequal to that book, forget the name, i ll remember l8r

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.