• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Golf Books

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Hi Guys,

it's me again, after a years absence. Hope Everybody's been well! My back is FINALLY good again and I will try a new start this season :) Hope it will be better (and longer) than last years season...

I was looking over old threads, just to inform me what has happened here lately (absolutely not, because i'm bored) and I found that there has not been any talk about golf books.

So, to just start something off. What golf books have you read and would you recommend. Personally, I am very interested in clubmaking, but have not found a decent book about this yet.

So long...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Personally, I am very interested in clubmaking, but have not found a decent book about this yet.

So long...
For Clubmaking:
Wishon's - In search of the perfect golf club.
Amazon.com: Search for the Perfect Golf Club: Tom Wishon, Tom Grundner: Books

Other that I feel are must haves which I re-read about every year:
Rottella's - Golf is not a game of perfect
Hogan's - Five Fundamentals
Penicks - Little Red Book

Also have some of Rotella's and Penicks others, which are good. I also personally like Pelz - Short Game Bible which is very technical and not for everyone. Just picked up Utleys - Art of Short game for myself and Art of Putting for my wife, which have heard good things about on here.

edit 1 - BTW, Rotella's Golf is not a Game of Perfect has such an impact on my game that while reading it for about the 3rd time (beginning of each year), I accidentally left it on a plane seatback and after getting back, went and bought another copy.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Here are others, which all have their merits, except I could not recommend Pelz Damage Control. Which may be of use to some beginners to set their mind on course management, but I found it a complete waste of time and money, and pretty much common sense for the most part or for any seasoned golfer. I think he could have condense the valid parts into probably 1/20th the space. Have a review on here about it somewhere.

OP
papperlapub

papperlapub

Swedish Golfer
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks a lot for the fast replies, just ordered 5 books on amazon :)

Nice book collection you have there :)

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Pa hit a lot of the really big ones, I have a few more worth additions:

Bobby Clampett's The Impact Zone is a great book almost totally about getting your hands ahead of the ball like every single touring pro does.

Maxina van evera Lupo's How to Master a Great Golf Swing is an excellent second book to Hogan's Five Fundamentals. It promotes a swing almost exactly the same as Hogan describes, Lupo's book just covers it in more detail. More discussion of why you position your body in the way that is suggested, more discussion on the ideas behind the swing, just more all around.

Joseph Laurentino's The Negotiable Golf Swing is a very nice book to read through because it discusses the variation that is allowable and isn't allowable in the swing. That is, what you should be concentrating your effort in fixing -- things that aren't negotiable -- and what you shouldn't -- because they just affect style and not substance.

These last ones are good if you like a little more scientific detail in what you read about. Cochran and Stobbs' Search for the Perfect Swing is really a study on Hogan's swing. There is a fair amount of discussion as to why Hogan's swing was one of the best at efficiently transmitting force accurately. The study was done in the 60's, but the results are still perfectly valid. In fact, they were very good at predicting a lot of the club advances that have occurred over the years. And if that one just whets your appetite for more science, Jorgensen's The Physics of Golf is very good.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Personally, I am very interested in clubmaking, but have not found a decent book about this yet.

A decent book about Clubfitting, much more important than club"making" because anyone can slap some epoxy on a shaft, is "The Perfect Fit". It is available on Amazon and is very inexpensive for what you get.

You can read my review of it in the reviews forum.

retexan599

Apr 20, 2009
I have gotten a lot of good mileage out of a somewhat older book:

"A Hacker No More" by William C. Kroen.

My copy is quite dog eared with a publication date of 1993. The concepts are quite simple. The book deals with both the mental and mechanical side of things. While it is out of print, I do see used copies offered on various internet book sources. It has helped me a lot.

🔥 Latest posts