• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good golf clubs way over priced and over rated

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
United States United States
Does better equipment make you a better golfer?

is all clubs same make and model better than a mixed bag?

I don’t think so!

I pay more for new grips than I do for clubs.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Equipment that you have confidence in can make you play better, because you take away one of the stumbling blocks of the game. But, you still have to hit the shot.

Pretty much a proven fact that Game Improvement clubs are substantially better to play for high handicappers than forged blades, so GI's are better equipment for those golfers than blades. So, actually, yes better equipment for your game can make you a better golfer in that sense as well.

But again, you still gotta hit the shot.

OP
E

ernesttbass

Banned
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Country
I never thought I would say but your right.

All my irons are forged so I would know about the others.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Golf is 90% mental and the other 20% is all in your head! As MC says, the confidence factor plays a big part in your game.
For years, I changed equipment faster than underwear! Had to try the newest and "best" as soon as it was released. It was part of my enjoyment of the game. Now... my bag stays fairly stable. I don't have the game for the blade style irons I play. Still, just like today I heard "Your irons are like throwing darts!" They work for me.
Play in a group of geezers. Go to a muni and begin looking in bags of the people getting ready to play. One guy in our group never has more than eight clubs in his bag. Could he play better with a complete set? Maybe. Maybe not. He loves his two-decade old set of irons and his driver he bought for $5 at a garage sale. He usually cards rounds in the mid 80's to low 90's. One guy broke the shaft on his 9-iron a couple months ago. Never replaced it and never will. Just hits an easy 8 or a hard pitching wedge. Some of these guys are hitting a 6 hybrid from 100 yards. Others are hitting driver, driver, driver, putter, putter on a par 5.
Overpriced? In my books, yes. If purchasing the latest releases or making sure the clubs are brand-matched gives you the confidence to play better... go for it!!!!

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
You don't necessarily need to spend a lot on equipment, but you should spend the money to get the equipment you play set up properly for YOU. You will play better with a used 7 iron from a thrift shop, that is the correct length, loft, lie, swing weight, and grip size for you, over a brand new (insert top brand name) 7 iron that is too heavy, too long, too flat, and a grip that's too small. Also, having all the same brand clubs in your bag, will not make you better. Your bag should be compromised of the clubs that work best for your game and your swing. If you have brand A irons, you don't need a brand A hybrid. Maybe brand B hybrid has the right feel for you, and fills the yardage gap properly. And maybe brand C 3-wood. I play the same shaft in my 3 hybrid through my 58 degree wedge, but the shaft in my 3-wood is different because it is the right shaft for my swing. My driver is a different brand than my 3-wood, but it's the same brand as my irons and hybrid. I know it will perform the same as another brand because of COR, but it looks good to me, and I like the feel of it when I swing it. My driver also has a COMPLETELY different brand shaft from the rest of my set. Why, because it is right for me, for my swing. All of the clubs I play, I play because they are right for me, not because they match. By happenstance, my driver, 3- hybrid, irons, and wedges are the same brand. I play the putter I play because I play well with it, and it is fit to me. The length, loft, lie, swing weight, and grip size is what works best for me. I have tried MANY MANY different brand irons, woods, drivers, wedges, and putters. Also, grips... you have to try a lot of different grips, different compositions, and sizes. Point of interest, I play a standard size mens grip, but I use 5 layers of tape under it. I have spent a LOT of money on trial and error to see what works, and to tinker, but the best thing I've done, was to get fit, and set my clubs up for me. Granted, I have a lot of money invested in my bag (roughly $4,400 ish), but it is the best equipment for MY game.

Last edited:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
In today’s day in age of everyone’s addiction to more distance, space age materials and showing off for your playing partners with the latest and greatest. Yes, golf clubs are way overpriced!! It may be just my unpopular opinion but, for a long time now, we have been getting taken advantage of by club manufacturers. Releasing 2-3 drivers a year, a few iron sets, some wedges and a new putter line... Are they really that different?? Or just another reason for them to take $700 from our pockets?!?! I mean you can change paint colours, some numbers and talk up some new fancy technology, did you really change that much?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
In today’s day in age of everyone’s addiction to more distance, space age materials and showing off for your playing partners with the latest and greatest. Yes, golf clubs are way overpriced!! It may be just my unpopular opinion but, for a long time now, we have been getting taken advantage of by club manufacturers. Releasing 2-3 drivers a year, a few iron sets, some wedges and a new putter line... Are they really that different?? Or just another reason for them to take $700 from our pockets?!?! I mean you can change paint colours, some numbers and talk up some new fancy technology, did you really change that much?

Especially in irons, the main difference from model to model is simply changing the color of plastic in the cavity! There's not a lot that can change with drivers. Manufacturers are limited to 460 cc's and .830 COR. They lay claim to moving the center of gravity, etc. You try to tell me that as many models released in the past decades, the COG hasn't been moved to every possible location more than just a few times? I will always think the main change in drivers has been advances in shaft technology.

And... I will respectfully disagree that manufacturers are "taking advantage" of us. If the public will pay an exorbitant price for a piece of metal they use to play a recreational game, why wouldn't the manufacturers take advantage of such obsessive compulsion? Food... water... life-saving drugs... There are some things I do believe need price controls. But, golf clubs... video games... luxury vehicles... yachts... I don't think we should try to control stupidity.

This is why I can't remember the last time I purchased brand new golf clubs... unless they were on a deep clearance due to model changes. In the 90's, golf was my vice. I would search high and low for the latest and shiniest and toss dollars at it. The disposable income was there and... Sheesh!... I wish I had some of those dollars today. If I hadn't spent it on golf clubs, probably would have found something else to toss it at.

The market has gone through a terrific evolution with the advent of the internet. Late 80's and early 90's, the resale value of Ping, Callaway, and Titleist was awesome. You could purchase the latest model release, play one round with them, and recoup all or most of your money. Taylor Made began selling through mass merchandisers and their resale went in the tank. Once "flea-bay" hit... resale values dropped like a rock... and have remained that way to today. We haven't purchased a new car or truck for decades. Always look for one with ~10,000 miles and let someone else take the depreciation hit. I follow that same strategy with golf clubs.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I usually stay a couple of generations back when buying clubs. I paid full price for my irons after a fitting that my kids gave me for Father's Day five years ago, but everything else in my bag was either pre-owned or discounted. I usually shop at Dick's Sporting Goods and they usually have a good supply of older models. Also, there are several online dealers that have used clubs in great condition at good prices.
Limpalong is right about trade values. A $499 driver is only worth $225 on PGA Tour Value Guide once it leaves the store. However if you want to buy the same club preowned you will pay $315. My guess is in a year or so after the newer model comes out you will pay $349 new and $299 preowned for that same driver.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I’ve hated the trend in the way irons look over the last few years. So gimmicky and cheap looking. That being said, I did buy and pay full price for a set of Srixon irons at the beginning of the season. They were so clean and sharp looking, one of the few sets I found that I could say that about. Even Titleist and mizuno have fallen into that trap.

Drivers, 2-3 generations behind for me, same with putters. Even wedges have trended away from nice clean looking lines, they all are starting to have this funky ridge in them...just weird looking to me.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Even wedges have trended away from nice clean looking lines, they all are starting to have this funky ridge in them...just weird looking to me.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. I was just looking at wedges thinking it might be time for a new one. Less than half of them fit my eye with simple clean lines.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Even wedges have trended away from nice clean looking lines, they all are starting to have this funky ridge in them...just weird looking to me.

You're absolutely right. I was just looking at wedges thinking it might be time for a new one. Less than half of them fit my eye with simple clean lines.[/QUOTE]

Even Vokeys have gotten weird looking and they are, to me, the epitome of classic, clean looking wedges. Now, I’ve never been able to play them, but they look great!

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I will respectfully disagree that manufacturers are "taking advantage" of us. If the public will pay an exorbitant price for a piece of metal they use to play a recreational game, why wouldn't the manufacturers take advantage of such obsessive compulsion? Food... water... life-saving drugs... There are some things I do believe need price controls. But, golf clubs... video games... luxury vehicles... yachts... I don't think we should try to control stupidity.

This is why I can't remember the last time I purchased brand new golf clubs... unless they were on a deep clearance due to model changes. In the 90's, golf was my vice. I would search high and low for the latest and shiniest and toss dollars at it. The disposable income was there and... Sheesh!... I wish I had some of those dollars today. If I hadn't spent it on golf clubs, probably would have found something else to toss it at.

Touché sir! Hahaha, you have such a nicer way of saying it than I do. I usually just say “you can’t fix/help stupid!” If people will buy these things at such high prices, no you can’t fault the manufacturers for producing them. Not at all!! I just don’t get it myself. To me, yearly models should be released early on in the year. With a glimpse of what’s to come the next year towards the end. If I can use our S. Ontario golf season for an example; courses start opening (usually) April. So new clubs being released in Feb or Mar would make sense. Then come say November see what’s coming for next season as the snow starts flying! Right now it seems like every two, three months someone releases something...

Thankfully I don’t fall into this trap either, or my wife would likely have my head!! Newest clubs I’ve bought as of late, turned out to be 30+ years old!!

🔥 Latest posts