• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good irons for weekend golfer

jncasey

Jun 19, 2012
Hello all,

My name is Jonathan and I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed recreational golfing for years and I'm tired of using my grandfather's Walter Hagen Ultradyne irons from the 1970's. Given that I am 22 years old, I am interested in purchasing a set of reliable clubs that will hopefully improve my game. With that said, I would appreciate any input as to what irons would be appropriate for a novice/amateur weekend golfer. I have not visited any golf stores yet for size/measurements or computer readings. After reviewing the latest equipment on golfer's digest, I am clueless as to what I would need.

Thanks in advance!

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
think most people would say, visit the local pro shop/golf shop - hit a couple of irons talk to the pros and equip yourseld with the clubs that suits you and your budget best!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Go to local golf stores and pro shops, hitting everything you can. You will probably come up with some "candidates" that look good and you hit better than others. Then, go to shops that have used sets or hit callawaypreownedgolf and find a good used set of good clubs. Stay away from the WalMart/KMart starter sets. You can buy good used pro-line clubs close to what you can buy 'el cheapo' clubs for.

Remember, it's just a game... a very frustrating, but rewarding game. Unless you are one in a million, you'll struggle getting started. But, you'll soon begin to hit those occasional shots that get you believing, "I can hit a shot like that every time I swing, if I keep trying!"

One of the most important things is to learn and practice good course etiquette. No matter how badly you play, if you are respectful and are honestly trying you will find playing partners who can become life long friends. If you are a "jerk" on the course, you will have difficulty finding anyone who wants to enjoy the game with you and it will never be as rewarding as it could be.

Get a decent set of clubs. Respect the game and leave the course better than when you arrived. Good luck!!!!!

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I can't believe everyone wants you to go trying things out before buying. That is not the shottalk way. Get on eBay and various BST's around the interwebz and buy 3-4 sets of irons and 8-10 drivers. Hit them all and keep the one you like for half a season.

About August start perusing the same spots again and buy another set and 2 more drivers. Sell the old stuff and be happy with your bag. In October you need to buy several driver shafts to find one that is a better fit for your swing.

Rinse and repeat for every season until you have owned every iron set for the last 15 years.

OP
J

jncasey

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for the quick advice. I plan on going to a golf shop tomorrow to try out a few irons and drivers. I've been told that the Cobra AMP driver is a must.....
My brother-in-law called me this afternoon with a good offer. His friend is willing to sell for $500:

Ping G10 irons full set w/wedges
Ping G10 driver
Taylormade 2.0 3 wood + hybrid club
Odyssey puter
Ping golf bag

He said he might take less than $500. I need to find out if the irons would fit me. Does this sound like a good deal? I could really use a set of game-improvement irons. Anything at this point would be better than my 1970's irons.

Thanks

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for the quick advice. I plan on going to a golf shop tomorrow to try out a few irons and drivers. I've been told that the Cobra AMP driver is a must.....
My brother-in-law called me this afternoon with a good offer. His friend is willing to sell for $500:

Ping G10 irons full set w/wedges
Ping G10 driver
Taylormade 2.0 3 wood + hybrid club
Odyssey puter
Ping golf bag

He said he might take less than $500. I need to find out if the irons would fit me. Does this sound like a good deal? I could really use a set of game-improvement irons. Anything at this point would be better than my 1970's irons.

Thanks

That sounds like a good deal, I would try to talk him down to $350, thats a more realistic price for those. Also, make sure the irons feel good to you.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.