• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Stick... Bad Sticks; Bad Stick... Good Sticks!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Due to weather, etc. I had the opportunity to play with a couple of new guys Saturday. I've known both of these from visiting with them around the clubhouse. Yet, never had the opportunity to play a round with them. Here's how the day went...

Partner #1: Young man, late 20's. Nice, polite, great person to have in your group. Bag was made up of an old Cleveland Launcher driver (400cc), an old TiteLies clone fairway wood, a cheap set of "hand-me-down" Wilson cavity backs, a SW he says he picked up at a garage sale for $1.25, and an old Bullseye putter. Beautiful easy swing... this young man carded a 73. GOOD STICK... BAD STICKS!!

Partner #2: Mid 50's, male. Again, excellent person to have in your group... etiquette wise. Bag was R7 SuperQuad driver, V-Steel fairways, R7 irons, Cleveland 900 wedges, and an Odyssey 2-ball SRT putter. Nice swing. Nice clubs. Carded a 94!! BAD STICK... GOOD STICKS!!!

Myself: Early 60's. Bag is in signature, with irons that date back to 1989. Driver and putter are much newer. Awkward swing that resembles a 100 lb overweight Jim Furyk on a bad day!! Carded an 81. BAD STICK... REASONABLE STICKS!!!

I honestly believe the young man could shave significant strokes off an already pristine game with a set of clubs fitted and technologically to today's standards. Yes... this young man could "buy a better game"!

The other gentleman has bought all the game he can handle. He did get frustrated as he got further into the round, but with a couple grand wrapped up in his bag... I can understand why! Yet, he does play enough to know he'll probably not get any better. He fully understands golf is just a game and is to be enjoyed.

I have had the opportunity to watch a couple First Tee events. The kids come from some pretty disadvantaged backgrounds. When I say their clubs, I marveled at the dollars in the bags. Was told many club distributors use First Tee as a "donation" of recent models as a tax advantage. Those kids have some awesome swings.... but have the equipment to back up those swings.

I've come to this conclusion... Up to a certain point in your age and ability, you can buy a better game. Up to a certain point in your age and ability, if you want to advance your game you can get fitted and get "tech'd"!! Many of us have a difficult time realizing when we reach either an age or an ability ceiling. We seem to think we can continue tossing money at this game and improve. Certainly, there are times our bodies need to move from a stiff shaft to a more flexible shaft. There are times when a putter goes south and a new putter is in store. There are times when there are actual scientific technological breakthroughs (.830 COR, etc.) that we can take advantage of. In the meantime... an old fart like me needs to understand that both the age and ability ceilings have been reached and the rest is simply having clubs in your bag that will allow you to enjoy this game to the fullest extent possible.

Excuse me.. I'm leaving work early today to go by Golf Galaxy and look at new drivers. That young kid had me by 50 yards. Surely, there's a new Tour Tested, latest model, most advance shafted driver waiting that can at the very least shave 2 or 3 strokes......

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think you're 100% right. You CAN buy stroke-savers. Spending money won't always save you strokes, but it CAN.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Yep. If you want to be a good golfer, go back and start at age 3. :(

As an old fart who just started golfing 3 years ago, I should know better than to expect to play well, but it still gets my goat to swing well on the range, then go to the course and play like a hack. :)

That said, I am in the process of switching over from my custom made steel shafted Apex blades to a set of custom made graphite shafted MX-11 hack sticks. As long as I am trying to buy a game, I might as well try to get distance and forgiveness all at one swell foop.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My wife's cousin has the best swing I have seen from anyone at our course. The first couple times I played with him, last year, he carried a 2 handy playing an old Mizuno driver, an original big bertha 3w and some old ping irons.....he has an old scotty newport that looks like it has never seen a headcover that he still plays with. I played with him about 4 weeks ago he has a set of taylor made rac tp combos, a ping g5 with a shaft he had fitted and has added some taylor made wedges to the bag. He shot 69 practically screwing around, said he hadn't been hitting the ball real good, I went in the clubhouse and checked the handicap sheet and with the update for last month he was carrying a +1. Has his swing/game gotten any better.....I don't see it........has his equipment gotten better......yes.......did he buy a few shots.....who knows but it seems possible.

Jason

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm not sure where I would fit in to the above. (Shut up you guys and let me finish.... :D ) I've found a driver that keeps me in the fairway. Worked on a lesson package over the winter and only could take a couple things from it. Got some players irons instead of game improvement irons. :confused: Had a buddy (Razor) ask me why I was dancing when I swung my club so am not now PLANTING my left foot on the backswing and LOCKING my head on the backswing and hitting better then I ever have in my life. Oh yeah, I also found a 3-wood that's working long and straight so mix this all together and I think there's some combination of equipment and improvements to your swing that get you better results. :) Man, I want one of those new Sumo2 5900's with a really good shaft in it and...... :D

Skidkid267

Hopelessly Addicted
Apr 22, 2009
I would pay $100 for an hour lesson with a credible pro before I would buy a new club.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i like to think about it this way. bad sticks can hurt your game. good sticks let you play to your ability.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you are using old antiquated equipment, then yeah, you can buy a better game to an extent. But like the OP said, none of the latest and greatest innovations are going to help your average hack. All the new fangled gizmos are to give the scratch and better players a extra yard here or there.

Now if your a hack, trying to play with Tour caliber equipment, blade irons, (guilty as charged), and still carrying a 1, 2, and 3 iron, some non forgiving driver so you can TRY to work the ball, then yes, you can buy a better game. Which is why I now have 3 hybrids in my bag, and a big square driver on the way.

So I'm hoping I have improved my game with my latest additions. The hybrids are definitely easier to hit than the long irons, and hopefully the Fti will be more forgiving and not cost me too much distance if any. Now if I can just talk myself into re-gripping my Srixon's and admitting I'm not good enough to play blades, then maybe I can reach my full potential?

Don't hold your breath, ;)

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Interestingly enough, I went back to blades after years of playing cavity backs and my iron play has improved amazingly. I don't know if its a mental thing or what but I feel like where I aim the ball goes and when I miss I know why.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
As an old fart who just started golfing 3 years ago, I should know better than to expect to play well, but it still gets my goat to swing well on the range, then go to the course and play like a hack. :)
:biglol:
Yeah...some of us have seen your game, you're hereby busted! Here's a shirt.
sandbag.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online