• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got back from my first golf break...

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Was invited to visit Okehampton in Devon (UK) for 4 days this weekend just gone. First time I've ever been 'away' to play golf and to be honest with you it was fantastic.

The complex is massive, with 100's of little villa apartments for us to stay in, fantastic food aplenty and 4 courses and 1 par 3 course.

The first day I played the 'Oakwood' course, par 69 and managed a 77 round there. Chuffed to bits, never played any of these before and all I had was my score card to keep me informed of what’s next!

Second day was 'Pines' a par 68, and I managed 75, again, very chuffed with this - especially as I was 2 under par gross at the turn! Never ever had an under par nine holes up to hear - back nine was considerably harder and I'd played golf Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri and frankly was beginning to tire.

Third day (Saturday) we played the par 72 course Kigbare, buggy only (walking would cost you about 10,300 yards!) and shot 85, very tired, but managed something I've been waiting the 3 years I've been playing golf for. My first Eagle. Last two holes were a par 3 followed by a 310 yard par 4. I won nearest to the pin on the par 3 and birdied it (that is also a rare thing with my swing! lol) then spanked a 300 yard drive uphill on the 18th, and chipped a 10 yarder with the lob wedge straight down the hole with the gallery watching. YEY! Sod the score! I was wasted and finished with my first ever eagle!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Great trip...did any friends go with you for evening libations?

OP
D

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
Yes, I actually went with my dad and a few of his friends, and evening entertainment was aplenty :) mucho funo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
That's what makes these trips really special. I've been doing them annually for 25 years and love them...sounds like you played some good courses too..

🔥 Latest posts