• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Got Bite?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've finally gotten a handle on making irons spin back. It's cool but pretty useless :) . Anyway here's a few pics I took this afternoon. This hole is a 153 yd. par 3 but the markers were up near the front of the box. I hit a PW in and missed the putt by inches. Had the line but needed to hit it 8inches longer (L to R break toward the water).

View attachment 2096

View attachment 2097

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
AAArrrggghhhhh. Please delete this stupid double thread.... again. It certainly wasn't a good enough shot for 2 threads. :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for in those photos ez?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Harvey Pennick wrote about backspin.

His story was something along the lines of a semi pro player wanting to learn how to hit the ball and suck it back "like the pros do".

Pennick replied, "How many times do you hit the ball long of the pin?"

Sheepishly, the player replies "Well, almost never."

"Then why the hell do you want to make the ball back up farther away from the hole?"

------

Food for thought.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Oh. There is a large pitchmark next to the letters. I was just proud as it's the furthest I've ever had a PW spin back. :)

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Rock that's along the same lines as the supposed Trevino story.

He's in a proam and one of the Ams sees him back up a 5-iron and asks Trevino how to do that. Trevino asks the Amatuer how far he hits his 5.

"About 170", says the Am.

"Why would you want to back it up?"

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
I've heard the same story, except it's Gary Player, a three iron, 160 yards and he asks "why do you want it to stop?" There may be some truth somewhere but it seems the story has grown a lot. The lesson remains the same and as valuable.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I read the Penick Quote in the Red Book, I would say it was one of my favorites from that book, but they were all so good.

Personally I have enough trouble trying to control my distance to within 5-10 yards. If I hit it right and it hits the green it stops. If I hit it poorly it will come up short and I really would prefer it to release forward.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, sometimes it kills you as said, I caught the middle of the green once and rolled it all the way back to the front, about 20 feet. That wasn't fun.

Members online

No members online now.